Ian Kinsler homers in return to Arlington, Texas and then waves at the Rangers dugout

Jun 24, 2014, 9:31 PM EST

ian kinsler getty Getty Images

“To be honest with you, I hope they go 0-162,” Tigers second baseman Ian Kinsler said to ESPN The Magazine in March about the team that traded him over the winter for Prince Fielder. “I got friends, and I love my friends, but I hope they lose their ass.”

Kinsler also called Rangers general manager Jon Daniels a “sleazeball” for pushing Nolan Ryan, who is now with the Astros, out of the front office mix.

So it should come as no surprise that this happened Tuesday when Kinsler hit a solo home run in his first plate appearance back in Arlington, Texas …

Kinsler is batting .293/.325/.469 with nine home runs and 36 RBI in 72 games this season for Detroit.

Fielder is out for the season after undergoing cervical fusion surgery in his neck at the end of May.

1. aphillieated - Jun 24, 2014 at 9:35 PM

2. dondada10 - Jun 24, 2014 at 9:46 PM

I guess the high road was closed.

• historiophiliac - Jun 24, 2014 at 10:43 PM

It’s Texas; the high road requires a toll.

3. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 24, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Isn’t there some sort of unwritten rule against such a thing? Are the Rangers allowed to stone him to death or just chop off his hands?

• biasedhomer - Jun 24, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Best call in Chipper Jones, he knows what the Rangers should do.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 26, 2014 at 8:56 AM

But Chipper BACKED it up and has earned the right to speak…

One of ONLY seven men in the history of the game to retire with a .300 or higher batting average, plus a .400 or higher on base percentage and a .500 or higher slugging percentage with over 10,000 at bats…

Only SIX other men in the history of the game have done that besides Chipper.

Folks know Chipper was a good player but so many have no idea just HOW GOOD he was.

Politically correct folks keep ADDING things to their list that we can’t say or do… give them another 20 or 30 yrs and this post I’m making won’t be allowed…

Speak up Chipper!

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:40 AM

No. But I fully expect they will drill him in the ass at some point this season.

4. husky2score - Jun 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Has anyone else noticed that MLB.com has significantly cut the viewing time on their highlight videos? They’re cutting the highlight off right before they show instant replay or in this case, Kinsler waving back to the dugout.

• weaselpuppy - Jun 25, 2014 at 1:23 AM

120 sports is influencing online media programming already!

5. musketmaniac - Jun 24, 2014 at 10:35 PM

lol, high road. f..king mormons

6. fbwangus8736 - Jun 24, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Even more proof that Kinsler is an ass!

7. miguelcairo - Jun 24, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Good for him.

8. slappymcknucklepunch - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:02 PM

I did not think that it was that bad. Just a quick gesture and it was over.

The dugout was probably smiling.

At least some of them.

• beefytrout - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Apparently they weren’t. Washington refused to comment on it, and Lewis called it “disappointing.”

9. frank35sox - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:28 PM

“I can’t wait to hear Craig’s take on this,” said The Liar.

10. theskinsman - Jun 25, 2014 at 8:47 AM

What exactly did he do that was remotely wrong? Nothing.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Seriously skins man? What did he do wrong? Not much. Unless you consider totally disrespecting your former teammates wrong. If so…that.

• theskinsman - Jun 25, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Remind me not to give someone I know a half wave when I see them. I wasn’t aware the little girls in the rangers dugout were so sensitive and hysterical.
        Totally disrespecting…..get a grip.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 25, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Lol! Come on Skins. Don’t be coy. We both know (hell…everyone knows)…Kinsler has been a whiny butt baby since the trade.

• theskinsman - Jun 25, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I’d take his actions as someone who really wanted to finish out his career in Texas. yeah, gotta hate on a guy who wants to stay with his team, and is honest about how he feels.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 25, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I hear you. And for what it’s worth, I love a person who is honest and straightforward. Doesn’t mean you have to be a little whiny punk about it at every turn. I used to be a huge Ian Kinsler fan. And then…his punk ass side started to show through.

11. bender4700 - Jun 25, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Considering the applause he got, I think it was more of a “Hey guys, thanks for the support over the years”.

It really did not look like a jerk thing at all.

• beefytrout - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Seriously? The way it’s usually done is a tip of the cap at the start of the at-bat, not a wave directly to the dugout after a homerun.

12. holographicribs - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Ron Washington then did 4 lines of coke.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5033)