Jun 24, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Matt Baker of the Tampa Times reports that Sands is expected to miss at least three weeks, which is a shame because the 26-year-old probably deserves a bigger opportunity than he’s gotten thus far from the Rays, Pirates, and Dodgers.
Sands has spent parts of four seasons at Triple-A, logging more than 1,500 plate appearances there while averaging 30 homers per 150 games with an .832 OPS. If nothing else as a right-handed hitter he’d have been a nice fit versus left-handed pitching, but now Brandon Guyer looks likely to get most of the playing time in DeJesus’ absence.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)