Jun 24, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Matt Baker of the Tampa Times reports that Sands is expected to miss at least three weeks, which is a shame because the 26-year-old probably deserves a bigger opportunity than he’s gotten thus far from the Rays, Pirates, and Dodgers.
Sands has spent parts of four seasons at Triple-A, logging more than 1,500 plate appearances there while averaging 30 homers per 150 games with an .832 OPS. If nothing else as a right-handed hitter he’d have been a nice fit versus left-handed pitching, but now Brandon Guyer looks likely to get most of the playing time in DeJesus’ absence.
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 14
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 11
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 51
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)