Jun 24, 2014, 12:48 PM EST
Matt Baker of the Tampa Times reports that Sands is expected to miss at least three weeks, which is a shame because the 26-year-old probably deserves a bigger opportunity than he’s gotten thus far from the Rays, Pirates, and Dodgers.
Sands has spent parts of four seasons at Triple-A, logging more than 1,500 plate appearances there while averaging 30 homers per 150 games with an .832 OPS. If nothing else as a right-handed hitter he’d have been a nice fit versus left-handed pitching, but now Brandon Guyer looks likely to get most of the playing time in DeJesus’ absence.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)