Jun 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
Cardinals right-hander Lance Lynn allowed a pair of homers in an otherwise decent June 6 start against the Blue Jays, in Toronto, and was apparently convinced afterward that he’d been tipping some of his pitches.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch described how Lynn and the coaching staff noticed and then fixed the issue:
The hitters’ reaction to his breaking ball was telling, and to combat their read on him Lynn changed the positions of his hand. He’d been more consistent from the stretch, so he lowered his hands from the windup, too, and “stopped the up-down motion.” The benefit has been an increased command of his fastball and less wild, untamed movement from his sinker. His curveball has also been more effective.
Last night Lynn tossed eight shutout inning against the Rockies, at Coors Field, and since that June 6 start against the Blue Jays he’s thrown 22 innings with a 0.82 ERA and 20/4 K/BB ratio.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)