Phillies sign Grady Sizemore

Jun 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EST

Grady Sizemore Red Sox AP

Released by the Red Sox last week, outfielder Grady Sizemore has agreed to a minor-league deal with the Phillies.

Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that Sizemore will be assigned to Triple-A, where he hasn’t played regularly since 2004 as a 21-year-old top prospect for the Indians.

Sizemore’s comeback with the Red Sox got off to a great start, but then he went through a two-month stretch hitting .187 with zero homers and a .530 OPS in 43 games.

He hasn’t been healthy and effective since 2009, so the odds of Sizemore making a positive impact in Philadelphia aren’t very high, but it’s possible he could represent an alternative to the struggling Domonic Brown at some point or simply take on a part-time role.

1. htagsports - Jun 24, 2014 at 5:40 PM

He HAS to have something left in the tank, right????

2. lenbias34pt - Jun 24, 2014 at 5:45 PM

If i was a Philly fan i’d be excited.
    But my excitement would be dashed once i spent 3 minutes looking at his #’s over the last 5 YEARS!

Good luck Grady

3. schmedley69 - Jun 24, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Anything that gets Ben Revere off the field is fine with me.

• tuberippin - Jun 25, 2014 at 12:38 AM

and to think, the Phillies won that trade…

• schmedley69 - Jun 25, 2014 at 12:46 AM

The Twins don’t have to watch Ben Revere play everyday. That’s a win in itself.

4. scotttheskeptic - Jun 24, 2014 at 6:38 PM

I really hope this means that Amaro has begun working on plans that include Brown and/or Revere as parts of trade packages.

5. gmkev - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Grady Sizemore has 14 XBH in 205 plate appearances
    Domonic Brown has 17 XBH in 287 plate appearances

6. sportsfan18 - Jun 24, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Great news!

Now they may finally fire Ruben Amaro…

He signed a player when there was an OLDER player available to be signed (Raul Ibanez).

That’s a major no no for the Phillies organization and they now have grounds to terminate Amaro…

Oh wait… I’m NOT a Phillies fan…

Phillies owners, please disregard what I said and keep on for another 12 yrs…

7. tmohr - Jun 24, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Of course they did.

8. racci - Jun 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Wow, somebody made a comment about the Phillies signing old guys. That’s really awesome and insightful. I haven’t seen those comments in a long time (at least 3 days). I love the originality. Maybe you can throw in a comment about Eagles fans and Santa Claus.

• dan1111 - Jun 25, 2014 at 8:43 AM

I agree, everyone should lay off these jokes.

It’s not nice to make fun of people in wheelchairs.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Jun 25, 2014 at 11:03 AM

well, since you asked:

I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus. Underneath the misletoe last night.

So I beat him to death with three batteries I put inside a sock

9. clydeserra - Jun 24, 2014 at 10:38 PM

he is never gonna hold up playing on the carpet at the vet.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4396)