Jun 24, 2014, 10:57 PM EDT
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that right-hander Shelby Miller was lifted from his start Tuesday night at Coors Field because of tightness in his back. Miller complained of a hip stinger after a rough start last Thursday against the Phillies and he looked stiff on the mound throughout his 2 2/3 innings on Tuesday versus the Rockies.
Miller surrendered three earned runs on six hits and five walks Tuesday before exiting and the 23-year-old now has a 3.75 ERA and 1.40 WHIP in 93 2/3 total innings this season. St. Louis is calling up 2013 first-round pick Marco Gonzales for his major league debut Wednesday and now there’s a little more pressure on the kid to perform. Joe Kelly is still at least a week away from returning from a severe left hamstring strain.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)