Jun 24, 2014, 8:55 AM EST
Stephen Strasburg played for Tony Gwynn at San Diego State. He was using smokeless tobacco before he got there and he was unaware that Gwynn used it back when he played, but Strasburg is nonetheless using his former coach’s death as a basis for making some life changes. He’s quitting the stuff:
“I think it’s a disgusting habit, looking back on it,” Strasburg said. “I was pretty naive when I started. Just doing it here and there, I didn’t think it was going to be such an addiction. … Bottom line is, I want to be around for my family. This is something that can affect people the rest of your life. [Chewing tobacco is] so prevalent in this game. It’s something we all kind of grew up doing.”
Good for Strasburg. And, though his legacy was already more than secured as one of the best hitters in baseball history, here’s hoping Tony Gwynn’s death leads to a reduction and, eventually, an elimination of smokeless tobacco use in baseball and its elimination of something somehow significant in the overall baseball culture.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:01 PM EST
Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper is understandably confident about his team’s chances, but Zack Wheeler thinks the Mets can make things interesting.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:45 PM EST
Richards is scheduled to throw live batting practice on Saturday for the first time since knee surgery.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:29 PM EST
It was his first game action since last July 31.
Mar 5, 2015, 7:33 PM EST
Yahoo Sports’ Jeff Passan hears that Cuban infielder Hector Olivera could have UCL damage in his elbow, but Olivera’s camp has strongly denied the report.
Mar 5, 2015, 7:07 PM EST
The Giants will likely be without Pence for the first month of the season.
Mar 5, 2015, 6:13 PM EST
He would then return to Korea, where the 28-year-old was a former MVP.
Mar 5, 2015, 5:20 PM EST
Tony Clark adds that the leaks “are cowardly, undermine the integrity of our collectively bargained agreements and in some instances have been wholly inaccurate.”
Mar 5, 2015, 5:12 PM EST
He was bigger a few years ago, but he’s still a pretty big deal.
Mar 5, 2015, 4:46 PM EST
He may be a nice man, but no one likes to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews.
Mar 5, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
Darvish spent the final six weeks of last season on the disabled list.
Mar 5, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
It’s a minor-league deal with major-league money attached.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:52 PM EST
Chrome. No, not just the trim. The whole dang car is chrome.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:04 PM EST
He probably won’t be, though.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Just ask them. They’ll tell you so.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:39 AM EST
The union and the league are butting heads, but the deadlock should soon be broken.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:19 AM EST
Money is money, man.
Mar 5, 2015, 10:47 AM EST
“I used to throw hard. Now, not so hard.”
Mar 5, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Why hasn’t Ethier been traded yet?
Mar 5, 2015, 9:12 AM EST
Coke is Chicago-bound.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:43 AM EST
And the fact that they are being leaked is unconscionable
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (92)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)