White Sox rookie slugger Jose Abreu not interested in participating in Home Run Derby

Jun 24, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT

jose abreu getty Getty Images

White Sox first baseman Jose Abreu entered play Tuesday with 22 home runs — third in MLB behind only Edwin Encarnacion (24) of the Blue Jays and Nelson Cruz (23) of the Orioles. But the sensational rookie slugger doesn’t have any desire to strut his stuff in the 2014 Home Run Derby at Target Field.

“Home Run Derby is not something I’m too crazy about,” Abreu told Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times Tuesday through a translator. “It’s a good thing but I am not really interested or looking forward to. I really wouldn’t want to do it. I did it in Cuba several times and I wasn’t much into it.”

“The first thing it does is affect you mentally,” he continued. “You go out and try to hit home runs. I’m not a guy who tries to hit homers. I let them come when they come .. sometimes it messes with your mechanics.”

Blue Jays outfielder Jose Bautista was named the American League captain for the Home Run Derby and is in charge of finding four players to join him. Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki is the NL captain.

Abreu signed a six-year, $68 million contract with Chicago last October after defecting from Cuba.

1. aphillieated - Jun 24, 2014 at 9:06 PM

We just need this monster right here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRlLqWUvLWE

2. stex52 - Jun 24, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Smart kid. I don’t find it very interesting either.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 24, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Glad to hear I’m not the only baseball fan who isn’t keen on the HR contest.

• esracerx46 - Jun 24, 2014 at 10:32 PM

That might have to do with Chris Berman being the one that calls it. He sounds like a duck…back back back. Great, now I can’t get his voice out of my head.

• nbjays - Jun 24, 2014 at 10:44 PM

They could replace Berman with the duck from the AFLAC commercials and no one would notice.

3. bouwel92 - Jun 24, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Can’t really say that I blame him. To me it seems that the Derby has lost its appeal.

4. yahmule - Jun 25, 2014 at 2:34 AM

Abreu has impressed me from the beginning with his professionalism and quiet confidence. And the light tower power is pretty cool, too.

5. hushbrother - Jun 25, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I like this guy. Earlier this year, he hit a walk off grand slam. After celebrating with his teammates, he gave the cheering fans a modest bow, waved and left the field. I thought that was cool.

6. stlouis1baseball - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Good call Jose. I am really starting to like this kid. Seems to have his priorities in order.

7. earpaniac - Jun 25, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Sounds like my little league coach, who forbid us from playing whiffle ball for the same reason. Plus, if you individually think it’ll screw up your mechanics, it probably will.

8. Carl Hancock - Jun 25, 2014 at 12:32 PM

He’s far from the first to say this and there’s been players that had great a first half and then participated in the home run contest and weren’t the same at all afterwards. Good call.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3582)