Zack Greinke takes his boos in Kansas City, says he deserves them

Jun 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 11.44.55 AM Getty Images

Royals fans booed their team’s former ace last night and they got to see Zack Greinke take the loss too. Bill Shaikin asked Greinke how he felt about that. As with most things, he was pretty clear-eyed about it:

“I don’t know,” Greinke said. “I was pretty rude on the way out. They have every right to be mad at me.”

Probably so. He asked to be traded from Kansas City and news of that and his attendant dissatisfaction with life on the Royals hit the fans before left town. Still, as Shaikin notes, Geinke had pitched in Kansas City twice since leaving the Royals and he wasn’t booed on those occasions. Maybe his big deal with the Dodgers was the difference here. Maybe it was just random.

1. tbird05 - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Wow, that was a very mature response from Mr. Greinke. Glad to know he can take it, and not make it personal.

2. sportsdrenched - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I’ve said it before in this comments section. Greinke is on his own Planet in a good way. He usually has a good answer to an interview question.

3. Professor Fate - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Lots of people like to think they’re “brutally honest,” but that usually doesn’t include any sort of self-analysis. Greinke might be blunt (which seems to irritate folks), but he obviously doesn’t make any exceptions for himself.

His comments about the early trip to Australia made me criticize him, but I just can’t dislike the guy. His unvarnished take on things is refreshing in a world of self-promoting spin. It’s pretty rare in the world of entertainment to find someone who doesn’t put themselves on a pedestal.

• tbird05 - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I wonder if he could take a few minutes to explain to David Ortiz what “self-analysis” is. It would probably be a waste though…Ortiz would just leave the conversation thinking that it had something to do with how high his batting average was.

• tmc602014 - Jun 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Ortiz would think he needed to watch more film of himself batting.

4. paperlions - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Not sure why a Royal’s fan would boo a guy for not enjoying life on the Royals; they can’t enjoy being a fan of the organization either.

• kcroyal - Jun 24, 2014 at 12:55 PM

We are the largest group of masochists in the sports world. I actually get kinda bummed out when the Royals do things like win 10 straight.

• paperlions - Jun 24, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Well, I’m glad you are feeling better this week.

• stex52 - Jun 24, 2014 at 1:00 PM

The word is “fan.” Rationality is optional. And that includes all teams.

5. janvajda - Jun 24, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Reblogged this on Attorney at Law Jan Vajda Namestovo, Slovakia.

• bigtunany - Jun 24, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I’ll take “Exceedingly Random and Unlikely Reblogs” for $400 Alex

• rocketsteadman - Jun 24, 2014 at 2:15 PM

For some reason when I read that Attorney’s name I immediately thought of this:

• genericcommenter - Jun 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM

When I seek out a Slovakian attorney, I always ask for his views on the Royals. Bonus points if he knows the origin story of the Lorde song. Then I know he reads HBT.

6. banger60 - Jun 24, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Ah, poor baby, go to the bank and count you money, 2 aspirins and go to bed, all is well in the morning!

• dcarroll73 - Jun 24, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Aspirin might help a headache, but there are no known cures for either your lack of reading comprehension or your sentence building capacity. The guy very maturely responded in the opposite of a “whine”, and yet you mock him? I am a Giants fan who has no tendency to defend anything Dodger, but you are badly out of line.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:15 AM

You were dropped on your head a lot as a toddler…huh 60?

7. cur68 - Jun 24, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Crash Davis-speak blows. More Greinke-Talk, please.

8. randomjoeblow - Jun 24, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Greinke’s a turd. He’s not really saying anything other than, “I was a dick to the fans who supported and cheered for me. Yep.”

He might be self-aware, but he’s still an asshole.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5473)
  2. M. Kemp (3176)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2949)
  4. C. McGehee (2949)