Alex Guerrero is finally ready for baseball activities five weeks after Miguel Olivo bit his ear off
Jun 25, 2014, 12:16 PM EST
Five weeks after Triple-A teammate Miguel Olivo bit part of his ear off in a dugout incident Dodgers prospect Alex Guerrero is almost ready to resume playing.
General manager Ned Colletti told Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles that Guerrero has reported to the Dodgers’ training facility in Arizona and will work on his conditioning there until he’s cleared for game action.
Guerrero required plastic surgery to re-attach the missing chunk from his ear after the since-released Olivo went insane in the middle of a game. At the time he was hitting .376 with 10 homers and a 1.152 OPS in 33 games and the 27-year-old Cuban defector who signed with the Dodgers for $28 million appeared on the verge of being called up to the big leagues.
At some point in the second half Guerrero could emerge as an option to replace Dee Gordon, who’s hit just .224 with a .299 on-base percentage and .345 slugging percentage in his last 45 games following a hot start.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 25
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 33
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 114
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (114)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)