Jun 25, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Pete Kozma was the Cardinals’ Opening Day shortstop last season and a not-insignificant number of people misguidedly believed that he had long-term upside based on paying more attention to his flukey 26-game stint in 2012 rather than his lengthy track record of mediocrity.
Kozma went on to hit .217 with one homer and a .548 OPS in 143 games last season, at which point the Cardinals demoted him to Triple-A and moved on to Jhonny Peralta at shortstop.
Earlier this week the Cardinals called up Kozma from Triple-A because they needed some short-term bench depth and now they’ve designated him for assignment to clear roster room for other moves.
There’s a decent chance that some other team claims Kozma off waivers, because he’d be a reasonably decent utility infielder, but any notion of him being a quality regular should have been squashed a long time ago.
Trust multi-year track records, y’all.
UPDATE: Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Kozma passed through waivers unclaimed and will be assigned to Triple-A by the Cardinals.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 35
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)