Don Baylor is back from a broken femur and probably won’t be fighting anyone

Jun 25, 2014, 1:50 PM EST

Don Baylor

One of the saddest moments of the season was Angels hitting coach Don Baylor fracturing his femur while catching Vladimir Guerrero’s ceremonial first pitch on Opening Day.

It was a gruesome injury and only now, nearly three months later, is Baylor ready to return to work. He was back in the Angels’ dugout as their full-time hitting coach last night and Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that “no restrictions were placed on Baylor.”

Well, except for one little thing:

They told me to stay out of fights–the doctor said don’t be charging anyone. I told him, “I can’t really promise you that.”

In his absence assistant hitting coach Dave Hansen took on the primary gig and the Angels are third among AL teams in runs scored and OPS. And the 64-year-old Baylor spent his time off text messaging with players, which he’d never really done before.

1. cur68 - Jun 25, 2014 at 1:58 PM

I was thinking about Baylor the other day. I’m glad he’s back.

• El Bravo - Jun 25, 2014 at 2:31 PM

I was thinking about you the other day. I’m glad you’re back too. I mean that in the most discomforting way possible.

• cur68 - Jun 25, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Been travelling. Back for a bit…but if I’m gonna feel THIS uncomfortable about it…

2. chinahand11 - Jun 25, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Even if his femur was still broke I wouldn’t want to duke it out with Don. Good on ya, Don! Glad to see you back!

3. infieldhit - Jun 25, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Badass quote.

4. Detroit Michael - Jun 25, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Video link of the first pitch is here, FYI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtmsdevMmzw

Basically, Baylor’s leg just gave out, twisting the wrong direction.

5. mazblast - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:38 PM

You ask a guy who was a DH for most of his career to catch a ball, and this is what happens.

Seriously, though, I’m glad he’s mostly recovered and back doing what he does well and loves to do. The man knows hitting.

6. pyleketerson - Jun 25, 2014 at 6:10 PM

mazblast –

No, you ask a guy who for the past 11 years has battled cancer that attacks plasma in your bone marrow to catch a ball, and this is what happens.

Glad he’s back.

7. ajbaxter1975 - Jun 26, 2014 at 4:11 AM

I do not care for Don Baylor.

8. damer419 - Jun 26, 2014 at 3:56 PM

That was one of the strangest thing I have ever seen on a baseball field. Brutal.

Glad he is back