Jun 25, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Mike Scioscia has gone back and forth between Joe Smith and Ernesto Frieri as closer this year — and had a fun little detour experimenting with Cam Bedrosian once last week — but now he’s back on Smith:
#Angels Scioscia: “We’re going to keep Joe in the back end for right now until Ernie gets his feet on the ground and his game comes back.”
— Jeff Fletcher (@JeffFletcherOCR) June 25, 2014
Makes sense as Smith has been better than Frieri. Still, it does sound like Scioscia is determined to give Frieri every opportunity — maybe too many opportunities — to get back to the closer’s role.
A lot of the times I’m sorta “meh” on who’s closing, but the Angels look like a playoff team at the moment — they lead the Wild Card race in the AL and are only four games back of the best team in baseball for the division lead — so ironing out the bullpen is going to be pretty important for them. It’s nice that they have a couple games cushion at the moment with which to do it.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)