Jun 25, 2014, 8:53 PM EST
From Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer comes word that Indians right-hander Justin Masterson has been scratched from his next scheduled start Sunday against the Mariners because of lingering soreness in his right knee.
Masterson lasted just four innings on Tuesday against the Diamondbacks — allowing five runs on four walks and seven hits — and the knee problem apparently had something to do with it. The Indians have yet to name a replacement starter, and may have to call somebody up from the minor leagues.
Masterson has posted a disappointing 5.03 ERA and 1.54 WHIP through 17 starts this season for the Tribe, walking 50 batters in 93 innings. He had a cool 3.45 ERA and 1.20 WHIP in 193 innings last season.
The hope is that he will be able to return to Cleveland’s rotation by the middle of next week.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (127)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)