Jun 25, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
From Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer comes word that Indians right-hander Justin Masterson has been scratched from his next scheduled start Sunday against the Mariners because of lingering soreness in his right knee.
Masterson lasted just four innings on Tuesday against the Diamondbacks — allowing five runs on four walks and seven hits — and the knee problem apparently had something to do with it. The Indians have yet to name a replacement starter, and may have to call somebody up from the minor leagues.
Masterson has posted a disappointing 5.03 ERA and 1.54 WHIP through 17 starts this season for the Tribe, walking 50 batters in 93 innings. He had a cool 3.45 ERA and 1.20 WHIP in 193 innings last season.
The hope is that he will be able to return to Cleveland’s rotation by the middle of next week.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)