Jun 25, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
From Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer comes word that Indians right-hander Justin Masterson has been scratched from his next scheduled start Sunday against the Mariners because of lingering soreness in his right knee.
Masterson lasted just four innings on Tuesday against the Diamondbacks — allowing five runs on four walks and seven hits — and the knee problem apparently had something to do with it. The Indians have yet to name a replacement starter, and may have to call somebody up from the minor leagues.
Masterson has posted a disappointing 5.03 ERA and 1.54 WHIP through 17 starts this season for the Tribe, walking 50 batters in 93 innings. He had a cool 3.45 ERA and 1.20 WHIP in 193 innings last season.
The hope is that he will be able to return to Cleveland’s rotation by the middle of next week.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)