Jun 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Jesse Crain is approaching one calendar year without pitching, with his last appearance coming on June 29 for the White Sox, which was two teams ago. Now he’s with the Astros and thanks to numerous setbacks in his recovery there’s still no timetable for his return from shoulder and biceps injuries.
Crain signed a one-year, $3.25 million contract with the Astros this offseason and the plan was for him to step into the closer role, prove he’s healthy, and hit the open market again as a free agent.
Instead, here’s what general manager Jeff Luhnow told Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle about Crain’s status:
Still working on the strengthening and recovering from weakness in his scap [right scapula muscle]. I don’t have a time frame. … I think right now since we’re in the middle of June you would have to assume that him coming back in June is probably not going to happen.
Well, yeah. As of May 2 the Astros were targeting a May 29 return for Crain. And before that they thought he might actually be ready for Opening Day.
Before the injury Crain was an All-Star for the White Sox in 2012, throwing 37 innings with a 0.74 ERA and 46/11 K/BB ratio, which is why the Rays and now the Astros were willing to take fliers on him knowing he might never actually pitch for them.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 5
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (250)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)