Jun 25, 2014, 10:31 PM EST
Some disappointing news here for the Red Sox.
According to beat writer Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald, outfielder Shane Victorino — who had been aiming to return from the disabled list this Friday night — has hit a setback in his rehabilitation from hamstring and back ailments and there is no longer a timetable for his activation. It’s lingering back soreness that is stalling his progress this time around. It was general stiffness that caused him to be scratched from a game at Triple-A Pawtucket last week.
Victorino has been out since May 24 and could now be out through the All-Star break. Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston suspects that the Red Sox might soon turn to prospect Mookie Betts, who is batting .321/.402/.457 at Triple-A Pawtucket and making swift progress in his transition from second base to center field.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (120)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)