Sure, Yasiel Puig would participate in the Home Run Derby if someone asked him

Jun 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Puig Bat Flip

Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times:

Colorado Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, the National League captain for the home-run derby, said this week that he would consider selecting Puig.

“If he chooses me, I absolutely welcome it,” Puig told the Los Angeles Times through an interpreter, “but it doesn’t matter to me whether I play or not.”

I’m torn. On the one hand, of course I want to see Yasiel Puig in the Home Run Derby.

On the other hand, the Home Run Derby is already a really long, long event. Puig’s bat flips alone would stretch this thing to the six hour mark, would they not?

OK, I’ll say yes, let’s go with Puig. But we should all bring snacks and stuff, because it may take a while.

1. metalhead65 - Jun 25, 2014 at 3:47 PM

if he is not asked to be in that then they should hold a special bat flipping contest for him or some other fun of the game contest that he would be sure to excel in. he could give kids pointers on how to flip a bat after walks and almost hit the catcher and and ump and the proper way to flip the bat and pose after a home run. anything that involves hey look at me he would be the hands down winner.

• tbird05 - Jun 25, 2014 at 3:52 PM

A couple of months ago, when there were several posts about his flipping, I made a bold prediction…he would be a participant in the home run derby, and put of a bat flipping show. Guess I should disclose the lottery numbers next.

To be honest, the derby would probably be fun to watch with Puig, Trout, and Gattis. Hard to believe that Gattis won’t even make it to the All-Star game if people don’t start voting, but assuming his does and is invited to the derby, my money is on him.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Maybe he could also give kids pointers on capitalization, punctuation and run-on sentences.

• metalhead65 - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:48 PM

right because we all come to sports blogs to be lectured by grammar nazis who have nothing to offer on what we are commenting on.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 25, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Godwin’s Law, I win!

• kkkershaw22 - Jun 26, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Go to deadspin

• therealtruth210 - Jun 26, 2014 at 7:27 AM

any time you say “I win”, shows what a loser you really are

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 26, 2014 at 10:49 AM

…except when I win. Then it just shows that I win.

2. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 25, 2014 at 3:58 PM

I realize they supply their own pitcher in the Derby – but I still bet he gets brushed back at some point

3. Jon Hamilton - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:07 PM

I was at a game on Monday night and when I voted for the All Star team I was surprised that fans are actually asked to vote for the HR Derby participants this year. You get to choose 3 for each league from a small list. Puig is in fact on that list. But that being said, do the captains actually get to pick any of the participants this year?

• mazblast - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Sure they do. Then the MLB and network suits tell them who they would prefer. Guess who wins.

4. chris3141084 - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:37 PM

I wanna see bat flips on every bomb, have a bat boy to return it to him to speed it up.

5. miguelcairo - Jun 25, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I think it would be a sin to not have Giancarlo Stanton in the derby.

6. vanmorrissey - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:33 PM

If Puig is in it I’ll definitely watch. If not, I’ll watch when Stanton hits. Puig will draw viewers if you like him, or if you hate him, he’ll draw numbers. Love the Puig!

7. norvturnersneck - Jun 25, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Craig, it takes forever anyways. Bring a Red Bull too.

8. syphermce - Jun 25, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Please for the love and respect of baseball players everywhere, please do NOT ask him to be in it.

9. corky2141 - Jun 25, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Please, please, please allow him to do a bat flip after every blast!!! Not only will some old timers say how he is ruining the home run derby, not the home run derby but how he is also ruining baseball ethics for all the boys and girls of the world watching at home

Yet another WS run for the Giants