Jun 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
ESPN Dallas writer Richard Durrett died suddenly last week. For as much of a loss that represents for those of us who loved his work, it’s utterly insignificant compared to the loss felt by his family. Richard was just 38, was married, had two small children and one on the way.
Thankfully, the Rangers have stepped up to help out the Durrett family in their time of need, but if you’re in or near the Dallas Metroplex, you can take part in an event that will help them out too.
There will be a fundraiser for the Durrett Family at Goodfriend Beer Garden and Burger House in Dallas on Saturday from 3pm-7pm. There you can donate, commiserate and do some good for some folks who could use it. The centerpiece of it will be a silent auction and raffle with some pretty cool prizes and/or experiences, including:
- A game day experience with Dallas Stars play-by-play man Ralph Strangis;
- A game day experience with Dallas Mavericks play-by-play man Chuck Cooperstein;
- An inning in the booth with Texas Rangers play-by-play man Eric Nadel;
- An autographed bow tie from Fox’s Ken Rosenthal;
- An in-studio experience with Norm Hitzges and Mike Sirois of 1310 The Ticket in Dallas;
- An in-studio experience with Ben Rogers and Skin Wade of 105.3 The Fan in Dallas; and
- Game-used, autographed bats from Mark MacLemore and Rougned Odor of the Texas Rangers
Again: it’s at Goodfriend Beer Garden and Burger House, 1154 Peavy Road in Dallas, this Saturday from 3pm-7pm. Winners of the auctions and raffles will be announced at 6pm.
If you’re in the area, please try to make it down there to help some good people in baseball’s family who are having the toughest of times right now.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 5
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 14
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)