Jun 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
ESPN Dallas writer Richard Durrett died suddenly last week. For as much of a loss that represents for those of us who loved his work, it’s utterly insignificant compared to the loss felt by his family. Richard was just 38, was married, had two small children and one on the way.
Thankfully, the Rangers have stepped up to help out the Durrett family in their time of need, but if you’re in or near the Dallas Metroplex, you can take part in an event that will help them out too.
There will be a fundraiser for the Durrett Family at Goodfriend Beer Garden and Burger House in Dallas on Saturday from 3pm-7pm. There you can donate, commiserate and do some good for some folks who could use it. The centerpiece of it will be a silent auction and raffle with some pretty cool prizes and/or experiences, including:
- A game day experience with Dallas Stars play-by-play man Ralph Strangis;
- A game day experience with Dallas Mavericks play-by-play man Chuck Cooperstein;
- An inning in the booth with Texas Rangers play-by-play man Eric Nadel;
- An autographed bow tie from Fox’s Ken Rosenthal;
- An in-studio experience with Norm Hitzges and Mike Sirois of 1310 The Ticket in Dallas;
- An in-studio experience with Ben Rogers and Skin Wade of 105.3 The Fan in Dallas; and
- Game-used, autographed bats from Mark MacLemore and Rougned Odor of the Texas Rangers
Again: it’s at Goodfriend Beer Garden and Burger House, 1154 Peavy Road in Dallas, this Saturday from 3pm-7pm. Winners of the auctions and raffles will be announced at 6pm.
If you’re in the area, please try to make it down there to help some good people in baseball’s family who are having the toughest of times right now.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)