Anna Benson is out of jail and feeling much better now, thank you

Jun 26, 2014, 1:07 PM EST

Children At Heart Gala To Benefit Children Of Chernobyl Getty Images

You’ll recall, if you pay attention to the important things in life, anyway, that last July Anna Benson, the ex-wife of former MLB pitcher Kris Benson burst into his house with a gun, a knife, a metal baton and a bullet-proof vest, smashed a computer and demanded $30,000. That’s illegal, even in Georgia, so she went to jail.

She’s out now, and she’s talking to the press. While it wouldn’t take much to be better off now than she was last July, know that Ms. Benson is feeling better. She gave an exclusive interview to Fox 411 and talked about life back on the outside:

“I don’t smoke pot. I don’t drink. I even quit smoking,” Benson told FOX411 exclusively. “And I tell you what, I’ve never felt better.”

The former star of VH1’s “Baseball Wives,” who once infamously declared that she would sleep with the entire New York Mets organization if she ever caught her husband cheating on her, declared that she’s happier now than she’s ever been.

“Everything is great,” said Benson. “I’m happy with the simplest things. I bought a flower today at the grocery store– an orchid– and it’s so pretty and I appreciate it so much, because I remember being in jail and not having anything–nothing that smelled good, no music, no nothing–and I’m just thrilled to be in this small apartment, living a normal life.”

Eschewing all the easy punchlines, let’s be clear about something: Anna Benson had/has some pretty serious psychological problems, no doubt caused and/or exacerbated by a crazy/crappy upbringing and some poor life choices. None of that excuses her behavior last year, of course, but in the public eye she has spent her time as either a sex symbol or a joke to most people. It’s good to remember that she’s a real person who has kids and stuff and it’s good to see her figuring some things out and hopefully rebuilding her life.

1. schrutebeetfarms - Jun 26, 2014 at 1:18 PM

That last paragraph really takes the fun out of commenting.

• thebadguyswon - Jun 26, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Exactly!

• bringbackkosar - Jun 26, 2014 at 5:25 PM

• jfk69 - Jun 26, 2014 at 5:42 PM

“Alright Mr. DeMille, I’m ready for my close-up”
      Bravo proudly presents
      EX BASEBALL WIVES
      8PM Central
      9PM Eastern

2. TheMorningStar - Jun 26, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Just outta the can?

Sounds like she could use a stiff…cocktail.

3. cur68 - Jun 26, 2014 at 1:25 PM

I wish her well, because no one with her upbringing or mental health issues ever has it easy. It would be nice if she didn’t come off sounding like someone on the upward swing of a manic/depressive episode, though. Good luck to her.

4. mustbechris - Jun 26, 2014 at 1:26 PM

THIS is why you never put your D in crazy. Never forget.

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 26, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I (thankfully) don’t really know how these things work. Does showing up at your ex’s house like a Navy SEAL and smashing his stuff have any impact on the alimony he is supposed to pay out? Maybe there was a provision in the prenup or settlement about just such an occurrence, but in general, does a former spouse’s behavior after the split affect such things?

• mazblast - Jun 26, 2014 at 4:35 PM

It can, but most courts hold it only against the man if he does something f’in crazy. Women often can play the “he made me go crazy” or “it was that time of month and I was feeling STRESS” card successfully.

In any event, that is none of our business. I hope the ex-Mrs. Benson is getting her life together at last.

6. fearlessleader - Jun 26, 2014 at 1:30 PM

I for one am delighted that Anna Benson is in the BSOHL.

7. hojo20 - Jun 26, 2014 at 1:30 PM

That’s an atrocious tattoo.

• skunksprayjim - Jun 26, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Every tattoo any woman has ever gotten is atrocious. They completely ruin a womans appearance

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 26, 2014 at 3:21 PM

pants, too

• fearlessleader - Jun 26, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Whoops! Skunksprayjim meant to say “I personally don’t find tattoos attractive on women, but obviously that’s my own opinion and I understand that women don’t necessarily care whether I approve of the choices they make about their bodies.” This is where that edit function would come in handy!

• mazblast - Jun 26, 2014 at 4:37 PM

I think it depends on the size, subject, and above all location of the tattoo. Only 99% of them are ugly, the others are neutral or even, in very rare instances, cute.

As for pants–I’d rather see a woman who has tree-stump or coat-hanger legs in pants. I love legs, but not if they’re at the extremes.

• American of African Descent - Jun 26, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Really, fearlessleader? You want to jump on skunksprayjim for not qualifying his response?

Even if he was not as complete as you may have wanted, there are some things that people do that are objectively ugly. For example, unshaved underarms ruin a woman’s appearance even though that there are many women who choose to walk around with harry pits. Or—lest you accuse me of misogyny—comb overs ruin a man’s appearance even though there are men who choose to walk around with a comb over rather than acknowledging and embracing their baldness.

You don’t need to make people feel bad that they find certain embellishments (or lack of embellishments) attractive.

• fearlessleader - Jun 26, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Yep, American of African Descent—that’s why I didn’t smack him down for his preferences, but merely for stating them as an absolute truth rather than a personal opinion. Women have enough voices telling us how we’re supposed to look as it is; we really don’t need them on a baseball blog too, do we?

• American of African Descent - Jun 26, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Any woman—any person—who is so insecure as to feel body shame from anonymous comment on a baseball blog has very serious problems. That woman—that person—needs more counseling and support than you can give by “smack[ing]” someone down.

It is self defeating to claim sexism when it does not exist. There is enough real discrimination out there that you don’t need to go crying wolf.

• fearlessleader - Jun 26, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Let me be sure I’m clear on this. Anyone who gets worn down by the constant barrage of body-judging and body-shaming directed at women has “very serious problems”….but an hour ago you were tsk-tsking me for “making people feel bad” by gently calling out their sexist generalizations?

You were very helpful to hyperlink “the boy who cried wolf” for me; I’m going to assume you don’t need me to do the same for “double standard.” :)

• American of African Descent - Jun 26, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Let me put this more bluntly.

First, there was no sexism.

Second, calling out sexism where there is none is self–defeating. (As an aside, I don’t like it when anyone makes bad allegations of discrimination as it cheapens it when real discrimination exists.)

You seem like a sharp person—consider the difference in potential damage done when someone makes a false claim of discrimination. No double standard at all.

• fearlessleader - Jun 26, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Oh good grief.

1) That you cannot identify the original statement as sexist suggests that you are perhaps not qualified to make that determination.

2) To repeat what I said earlier: This is a baseball blog. As I understand it, there are one or two sites elsewhere on the internet where guys can discuss what features of women’s bodies do or do not make them feel funny between their legs. I don’t believe HBT needs to be one of them.

Your concern-trolling is touching, but I’ve got a ballgame to watch. Cheers!

• American of African Descent - Jun 26, 2014 at 7:42 PM

We can play this game all night. Comments about “guys . . . feel[ing] funny between the legs” suggest issues with men. You may consider taking the log out of your own eye before attempting to remove the speck from your neighbor’s.

Enjoy your ball game.

• fearlessleader - Jun 26, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I have won at least three games of Concern Troll Bingo just by reading this comment thread. Hilarious. Happy evening!

• American of African Descent - Jun 26, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Don’t spend all the winnings in one place! :-D

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 26, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Personally, I think ALL tattoo’s are atrocious.

8. twinfan24 - Jun 26, 2014 at 1:50 PM

So, in addition to the crazy we knew, she previously either witnessed and/or was involved somehow in a murder? I know the article says charges were dropped, but that doesn’t mean she wasn’t involved somehow. I hope she gets her life together, for her sake and her kids sake. But, any man that would date her from here on out may be putting his life in her hands, literally.

I don’t have kids, but once told my nephew, “You don’t want the trashy girls. You’ll think you do. But, stay away from them.”

9. largebill - Jun 26, 2014 at 1:52 PM

So many people pursue fame. However, they are far outnumbered by those who seek anonymity after having a taste of fame. We all make mistakes, but few of us have our worst days dissected on national news. I wish her calm days going forward. Probably the best thing for her would be if we never have a reason to mention her again.

10. sportsfan18 - Jun 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM

“That’s illegal, even in Georgia.”

Mr. Calcaterra,

That was the best line I’ve ever seen on here.

A tip of the cap to you sir.

Thanks for making me laugh…

11. shanabartels - Jun 26, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I mean this in the nicest way possible: I hope she’s on the meds she needs now. With proper psychiatric care, she may be able to move on and function with a relatively calm life.

12. drewzducks - Jun 26, 2014 at 2:29 PM

I bet she feels great.

13. coffeeblack95616 - Jun 26, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Indeed, that last paragraph is a good way of adding perspective to the situation and wraps up the article quite well.

14. stairwayto7 - Jun 26, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Back in jail by years end!

15. musketmaniac - Jun 26, 2014 at 2:50 PM

she might avoid jail. but she’ll do well on Craig’s list.

16. ejheim62 - Jun 26, 2014 at 2:50 PM

I’d still hit that. Wait, what? sorry, wrong brain was doing the talking for me just now.

17. Uncle Charlie - Jun 26, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Better indication of being white trash, shaved head with goatee or armband tattoo?

18. musketmaniac - Jun 26, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I see a future generation of well mannered non pierced/tattoo kids. When great grandmothers have tramp stamps its time to rebel.

19. buddysguys - Jun 26, 2014 at 4:13 PM

what a quitter

20. 4cornersfan - Jun 26, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I wonder if she has a trash stamp too?

21. jayquintana - Jun 26, 2014 at 7:09 PM

A. The day Kris married Ana. The day Kris and Ana divorced.
    Q. What are the saddest and happiest days of Kris’ parents life?

22. denny65 - Jun 26, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Don’t we all have crazy ex’s in our past?

23. eutawmike - Jun 26, 2014 at 8:47 PM

i’ll always remember in her santa suit.best christmas ever!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester