Jun 26, 2014, 2:16 PM EDT
Good news for Curt Schilling and his family: he tweeted this yesterday:
As of yesterday I am in remission. Start the 5 year clock!
— Curt Schilling (@gehrig38) June 25, 2014
The former Astros/Orioles/Phillies/Diamondbacks/Red Sox pitcher revealed in February that he has cancer, though he’s never said which kind he has. Whatever kind it is, any kind that is in remission is better than a kind that is not.
Schilling won 216 games, was a three-time Cy Young runner up and won three world championships before retiring at the age of 40 in 2007. He’s recently done studio work for ESPN on Baseball Tonight, and he had been slated to join the network’s broadcast booth for Sunday Night Baseball this season before his illness struck. Here’s hoping he’s well enough to be back to work soon.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)