Jun 26, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com has a good article up about ejections in Major League Baseball this year. And how, despite the fact we have replay now, which many people thought would reduce ejections, ejections are actually up.
Castrovince explains the reasons for this, and they all make sense. The upshot: plunking wars and arguing balls and strikes — two areas which are not subject to replay — always were where the most ejections came from in the first place. Also worth noting — and something I did note when people said replay would cut down on manager arguing times — is that actual close calls that replay address don’t tend to lead to super-crazy arguments anyway, or ejections for that matter. It’s tone and temperament stuff, which is more likely to arise on balls-and-strikes that leads to the super colorful arguments.
Anyway, it’s a good story, if for no other reason than the A.J. Pierzynski anecdote which kicks it off:
— Anthony Castrovince (@castrovince) June 26, 2014
Say what you want about that guy, but he is all kinds of fun when he wants to be.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)