Phillies prospect Jesse Biddle: “I’m miserable out there. I’m very unhappy. And I don’t know why.”

Jun 26, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT

SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game - World Team v United States Getty Images

Left-hander Jesse Biddle entered the 2014 season as the Phillies’ top pitching prospect and ranked somewhere between 50-100 in overall prospect rankings depending on who you read. (MLB.com #53, Baseball America #71, Baseball Prospectus #94.) The 22-year-old has, however, taken a step back in his second season with Double-A Reading.

In Monday’s start which lasted only three innings, Biddle surrendered ten runs on eight hits (including two home runs) and three walks while striking out only two. He has struck out three or fewer batters in five of his last six starts. Overall, he carries a 5.03 ERA with a 1.45 WHIP and 76/40 K/BB ratio in 78 2/3 innings of work.

The Phillies decided to place Biddle on the temporary inactive list to give him a mental break. As the Reading Eagle’s Mike Drago reports, Biddle seems pretty down on himself:

Not exactly what you want to hear from the top arm in your organization if you’re the Phillies. The club is already tenuously thin even on back-of-the-rotation depth. For the second game of Saturday’s double-header against the Braves, the Phillies will send Sean O’Sullivan, author of a career 5.89 ERA in 218 2/3 major league innings, to the mound.

1. sabatimus - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:04 PM

I’d recommend a psychological evaluation. In all seriousness. If he becomes aware of what the unhappiness is about, he can work with it.

• chinahand11 - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Good call, Sabatimus. Not making a diagnosis here, but that statement about being miserable and unhappy and don’t know why, oh yeah. As a psychiatric professional for three decades I vote for the guy to get a psych eval, which wouldn’t hurt anyone actually. He may have a depressive disorder, not diagnosing, not even guessing. I don’t know everything. Best of luck getting him going again. We’ve seen a few ballplayers go out of the league due to disorders (Khalil Greene?). You can do it, kiddo.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 27, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Completely agree.

I am not a mental health expert, and this is just one comment – but it did not sound like your normal “I am struggling with my command” type comment. I hope he improves – there is more to life than making the majors

2. nsstlfan - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Me too….. Sounds a little like Zack Grienke a few years back.

3. andreweac - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Dude clearly lacks tWtW. As such Amaro would be wise to exercise this cancer from the organization ASAP – prospect status be damned. Phillies cannot afford the lack of tWtW to go viral.

• sabatimus - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:15 PM

That’s pretty presumptuous.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:44 PM

“Cancer” is a bit…uhhh..extreme, let’s say?

• amaninwhite - Jun 27, 2014 at 12:06 AM

As great as exercise can be for one’s health, I think the word you meant to use in your misplaced cancer metaphor was “excise”.

• sabatimus - Jun 27, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Or “exorcise” if he thinks cancer is a metaphorical or literal demon.

• bfunk1978 - Jun 27, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I’m sure this was intended in sarcasm, but dude…just not funny.

4. b12071 - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Phillies doing a poor job with developing prospects. It doesn’t matter who you pick in the draft if you can’t help them develop skills and confidence. Phillies a major step behind their NL east rivals in this regard.

• tuberippin - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:07 AM

I’d say they’re about on par with the Mets in that regard…

5. tedwest - Jun 26, 2014 at 11:53 PM

I’d be miserable if I sucked too.

• sabatimus - Jun 27, 2014 at 12:10 AM

With comments like this, I wouldn’t worry about “if”.

6. ripwarrior - Jun 27, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Everyday BS builds on players just like the rest of us. Sometimes everyone needs some time to find themselves

7. denny65 - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:33 AM

Step 1: admit you have a problem. Everything else usually falls into place after that.

The kid sounds like he’s on his way. Good luck

8. mrexcite721 - Jun 27, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Jesse Biddle was struck on the head with golf ball sized hail stones last month in Reading. He may be suffering from the after effects of some sort of post concussion issues.

9. tmc602014 - Jun 27, 2014 at 7:29 PM

OK, I read a total of 12 words and we’ve collectively diagnosed mental illness and possible concussion. Can we just go with poor word choice until we know more?

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3230)