Jun 26, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
Left-hander Jesse Biddle entered the 2014 season as the Phillies’ top pitching prospect and ranked somewhere between 50-100 in overall prospect rankings depending on who you read. (MLB.com #53, Baseball America #71, Baseball Prospectus #94.) The 22-year-old has, however, taken a step back in his second season with Double-A Reading.
In Monday’s start which lasted only three innings, Biddle surrendered ten runs on eight hits (including two home runs) and three walks while striking out only two. He has struck out three or fewer batters in five of his last six starts. Overall, he carries a 5.03 ERA with a 1.45 WHIP and 76/40 K/BB ratio in 78 2/3 innings of work.
The Phillies decided to place Biddle on the temporary inactive list to give him a mental break. As the Reading Eagle’s Mike Drago reports, Biddle seems pretty down on himself:
Jesse Biddle, on his recent slump: “I’m miserable out there. I’m very unhappy. And I don’t know why.” More on http://t.co/ihGRQnZ5lg shortly
— Mike Drago (@mldrago) June 26, 2014
“Nothing feels fluid on the mound, nothing feels natural,” said Reading’s Jesse Biddle, who has been placed on the temporary inactive list — Mike Drago (@mldrago) June 26, 2014
Not exactly what you want to hear from the top arm in your organization if you’re the Phillies. The club is already tenuously thin even on back-of-the-rotation depth. For the second game of Saturday’s double-header against the Braves, the Phillies will send Sean O’Sullivan, author of a career 5.89 ERA in 218 2/3 major league innings, to the mound.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
Watch as Dee Gordon belts a ball into the right-center field gap and turns on the jets …
Jun 30, 2015, 7:41 PM EDT
Gyorko was optioned to the minors on June 10 after batting .210/.282/.311 over his first 131 plate appearances …
Jun 30, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Tim Lincecum will be placed on the disabled list with a forearm bruise to open a rotation spot.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:23 PM EDT
Like pretty much everyone else, actually.
Jun 30, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT
Which was pretty much the only choice they had, yes?
Jun 30, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
Let us use this column to talk a bit about how rumors got started back in the day and how they get started now.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Gallo played 25 games in his first taste of the big leagues.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
Chris Bassitt will start in his place.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:31 PM EDT
No one is quite sure when All-Star third baseman David Wright will be back.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
Not that anyone really wants you to know it’s up for bid.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
He’s making $4.8 million.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
The old park housed the Eugene Emeralds until 2009
Jun 30, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Two men enter. One man leaves.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
I’d like to tell you a story about bullpen history and a young man named Tony La Russa.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
The majority of the baseball-watching world hasn’t seemed to notice yet.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Warren had a 3.59 ERA in 14 starts.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
And Chris Young was not too pleased about it.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:51 AM EDT
It goes far, far deeper than you ever could’ve imagined.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
One he gets past 45 pitches he turns every opposing hitter into Lou Gehrig.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:32 AM EDT
Mike Trout put on a clinic against the Yankees last night.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 9
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)