Jun 26, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Former Yankees catcher Rick Cerone was on SiriusXM’s Fantasy Sports Radio channel with hosts Scott Engel and Adam Ronis today, and he had some pretty strong opinions about Robinson Cano signing with the Mariners:
Host/Scott Engel: “Robinson Cano in Seattle, why is he not hitting for power?”
Rick Cerone: “Big ballpark. Big mistake. No backup. No protection in the lineup. I mean, what a fool. Robinson Cano, I liked him as a Yankee. What a fool. Got bad advice. Yeah, he took more money but you know how much more money and exposure he could’ve had playing in New York, come to the lights. He’s going to go up to Seattle, we might see him once or twice in an All-Star Game. He’s only got four home runs. Four home runs for how many million, 200 and something million dollars?”
Get that logic: “yeah, he went and took all that money, but if he hadn’t taken all of that money and stayed in New York he would’ve made more money!” Maybe someone should explain that to me because I don’t really get it.
He goes on to talk about how the travel from Seattle is brutal and will kill Cano in the long run. And yes, the Mariners fly more miles than anyone. But it’s not exactly middle-seat-on-a-commuter plane stuff. And Cerone uses his own personal experience of travel to and from Seattle to bolster his argument. Of course Cerone never played in Seattle and was only going there for short trips a couple times a year, but I suppose we’ll let him be the expert.
I have no idea what it is with former New York catchers that make them so certain that everyone else on the planet is dumb, but between him and Paul Lo Duca, they have that market cornered.
Here’s the whole interview:
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)