Jun 26, 2014, 12:11 AM EST
Vanderbilt University has claimed its first College World Series. And the school’s first-ever NCAA national championship in a men’s team sport.
Carson Fulmer held the opposing Virginia Cavaliers to two runs — one earned — over 5 1/3 innings and center fielder John Norwood slugged a go-ahead solo homer off UVA reliever Nick Howard as Vandy won Tuesday’s Game 3 in Omaha by a score of 3-2.
Howard was the Reds’ first-round pick in the 2014 MLB Amateur Draft — at 29th overall — and had been dominant this season as Virginia’s primary closer. But Norwood turned on a 97 mph fastball on the inside corner in the bottom of the eighth inning to put the Commodores ahead for good.
“He’s got a powerful fastball … I just threw my hands at it and tried to find the sweet spot,” Norwood told ESPN sideline reporter Jessica Mendoza after the game. “It’s unbelievable … I can’t believe it.”
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)