Jun 27, 2014, 6:51 AM EST
Phillies 5, Marlins 3: The Phillies had and blew chances to score in the 10th, 11th and 12th innings. In the 13th, Jimmy Rollins singled and Chase Utley deposited a Chris Hatcher pitch into the right field seats. Also impressive: the Phillies’ pen, which combined to pitch seven scoreless innings of three-hit relief in this game. The guys who did it? Goldust, Eddie Guerrero, Diamond Dallas Page, Rey Mysterio, Ric Flair and Jake the Snake Roberts.
Pirates 5, Mets 2: Speaking of awesome rookies, Gregory Polanco homered and drove in four runs. His heroism also prevented me from having to talk about a matchup between Vance Worley and Daisuke Matsuzaka, which may rank near the bottom of the “matchups I’d be excited about if I bought tickets to this game” index.
Tigers 6, Rangers 0: Wait, I take that back. The Tigers are hotter than the Angels as they’ve won seven in a row. Rick Porcello got his first career shutout allowing three hits and striking out six. This time last week the Tigers found themselves behind the Royals. Now they’re four and a half games up in first place.
Cubs 5, Nationals 3: Justin Ruggiano went 2 for 4 with a two-run double in the seventh to give the Cubs the final lead of the game. Starlin Castro had two RBI and Anthony Rizzo went 3 for 4 with two doubles.
Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Brewers 7, Rockies 4: Not a bad second base combo they got in Milwaukee. Scooter Gennett has been on fire lately, but he sat in place of Rickie Weeks against a lefty. All Weeks did was hit a home run on the first pitch he saw and added a single and a double. Oh, and Gennett pinch hit in the eighth and hit a two-run homer.
Dodgers 1, Cardinals 0: Adam Wainwright and Josh Beckett matched zeroes for seven and a half innings, but the Dodgers managed to string together three singles in the eighth for the game’s only run. note: a game started by Josh Beckett lasted only two hours and thirty-two minutes.
Reds 3, Giants 1: Mike Leake struck out 12 batters over eight one-run innings. Brandon Phillips had three hits, including a home run and double, and scored twice. The Giants lead over the Dodgers in the West has shrunk to two games.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 0
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 88
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)