Jun 27, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Chase Headley is an impending free agent and the Padres in 34-45, so it makes sense that they’re shopping him and Jeff Sanders of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that the Blue Jays are interested in the 30-year-old third baseman.
Headley’s stock has plummeted since a breakout 2012 season in which he hit .286 with with 31 homers and an .875 OPS while leading the NL with 115 RBIs. Last season his OPS declined by 130 points and this year he’s hit .199 through 58 games while also missing time with a back injury that required an epidural injection last week.
He’s owed about $6 million for the remainder of this season and the Padres are currently without an actual general manager after firing Josh Byrnes, but Sanders speculates that they might just be willing to clear his salary off the books while acquiring a mediocre prospect in return.
Toronto is currently using Juan Francisco as its primary third baseman and he’s provided plenty of power with 12 homers and an .832 OPS in 57 games, but his defense is sketchy and his .302 career on-base percentage is always an issue.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- The Lester trade is a win-win 91
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 148
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (148)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (120)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)