Jun 27, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Chase Headley is an impending free agent and the Padres in 34-45, so it makes sense that they’re shopping him and Jeff Sanders of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that the Blue Jays are interested in the 30-year-old third baseman.
Headley’s stock has plummeted since a breakout 2012 season in which he hit .286 with with 31 homers and an .875 OPS while leading the NL with 115 RBIs. Last season his OPS declined by 130 points and this year he’s hit .199 through 58 games while also missing time with a back injury that required an epidural injection last week.
He’s owed about $6 million for the remainder of this season and the Padres are currently without an actual general manager after firing Josh Byrnes, but Sanders speculates that they might just be willing to clear his salary off the books while acquiring a mediocre prospect in return.
Toronto is currently using Juan Francisco as its primary third baseman and he’s provided plenty of power with 12 homers and an .832 OPS in 57 games, but his defense is sketchy and his .302 career on-base percentage is always an issue.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 11
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 70
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)