Closing arguments held in the Bryan Stow civil case — both sides blame alcohol as a contributing factor

Jun 27, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT

Image of Dodger Stadium beating victim Stow is shown on scoreboard before MLB National League baseball game between San Francisco Giants and St. Louis Cardinals in San Francisco, California Reuters

The evidentiary phase of the civil case Bryan Stow filed against the Dodgers arising out of the brutal beating he received in the Dodger Stadium parking lot in 2011 has concluded. Lawyers for Stow and the Dodgers gave their closing statements yesterday, and the case is now in the jury’s hands.

The arguments each side made are to be expected in a case like this. Stow’s argument is that there should have been more uniformed police officers at the stadium and more security officers who would have likely ejected Stow’s assailants from the ballpark before there was ever a chance for an assault to go down. The Dodgers’ attorney asserted that there was more security than at any other Dodgers opening day in history, and no one could have prevented the assault on Stow.

But alcohol played a part in both sides’ closings. With the Dodgers claiming that Stow’s state of intoxication at the time of the attack contributed to what happened, and Stow’s lawyers blaming the Dodgers for excessive beer sales. From the Dodgers’ closing:

“There were three parties responsible — Sanchez, Norwood and, unfortunately, Stow himself. There were things Mr. Stow did that put these things in action,” Fox said.

He added, “You don’t get yourself this drunk and then say it’s not your fault.”

From Stow’s lawyer:

“Dodger Stadium got to a place where it was a total mess. There was a culture of violence. Beer sales were off the charts . . . “

The jury will now decide.

1. blabidibla - Jun 27, 2014 at 11:07 AM

That’s right, blame the victim who never threw a punch. Asshat.

2. dan12 - Jun 27, 2014 at 11:11 AM

You can’t blame the Dodgers for selling too much beer. The only solution to that would be raising the price of beer, and who is honestly arguing for that?

• happytwinsfan - Jun 27, 2014 at 11:25 AM

How about them not selling any damn beer at all. If you want to get stewed while you watch the game, watch it from home. If you want a nice cold refreshing beverage during the game, get a Coke.

• asimonetti88 - Jun 27, 2014 at 11:39 AM

How about idiots don’t get too drunk? Why should I, as a responsible drinker, have to suffer because these idiots got too belligerent?

• tbird05 - Jun 27, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I agree with your position about not wanting a few to ruin it for everyone, but sadly, that is just the American way. As crazy as it sounds to not sell beer because a few idiots can’t act responsibly, the proposition is not outside the realm of possibility.

• blacksables - Jun 27, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Yeah, the police never get called to anyone’s home because a fight broke out while people were drinking.

While you’re in fantasy land, can you pick up a unicorn for my daughter? Pink and white diagonal stripes.

I’ll send a check.

• happytwinsfan - Jun 27, 2014 at 12:22 PM

How exactly is it that anybody “suffers” by not drinking beer at a baseball game?

If the idea is to stay cool on a hot day, drinking beer is about the worst thing you can do, it’s a diuretic which actually reduces the body’s ability to cool itself.

If on the other hand the idea is to get high, but not too obnoxiously high than I guess I can see some kind of loss.

Is that what you guys are arguing for, your all American right to get high in a public place as long as you don’t get too high?

• asimonetti88 - Jun 27, 2014 at 12:31 PM

No, I’m just asking for my right to drink a damn beer while I watch the baseball game.

• mazblast - Jun 27, 2014 at 4:01 PM

If I want A beer during the game, why shouldn’t I have one? If I want TWO, why shouldn’t I have two? If I want THREE–I stop. Besides the expense, I don’t need to spend hours making bathroom runs.

Sometimes I go to games and have a beer or two. Sometimes (like last Friday) I don’t have any. But I prefer that it be MY choice. Why should I suffer for the irresponsibility of others, particularly those (as in this case) who seem enamored of violence in any event?

3. El Bravo - Jun 27, 2014 at 11:23 AM

I don’t see how the Dodgers can take blame here, but this is American baby. Litigate that b!tch.

4. migoli - Jun 27, 2014 at 11:37 AM

So happytwinsfan , stuff like this happens from time to time you think that means no beer should be sold? That’s insane, the type I’d person who would beat a dude this bad would almost certainly do it sober or at the very least is the type if person who brings his own alcohol .

5. aresachaela - Jun 27, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Hmmm…. Anyone knew what time did this incident occur? Morning? Evening?

Hate to be a noob but it’s the first time I heard of this incident. I’m getting the feeling this incident happened at the parking lot or outside the stadiums vicinity.

Bryan Stow FTW. Yep, I’m late for this, I know.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Looking at bref, a roughly 3h game that started around 5pm (if I’m reading this correctly). So the “incident” would have happened around 8pm.

• aresachaela - Jun 27, 2014 at 10:57 PM

So it happened at night huh, opening day, parking lot…

Okay… So lets just say there’s many SECU’s there and, many people going out and blah blah…

So the beating of Stow might be short but brutal resulting in a coma, I don’t believe there’s no witness that saw that beating if that’s in the parking lot cause I’m sure there’s many people there, if that’s in an area with few parked cars with little or no people then a witness could be a non possibility. And God!! May those people who did this rot there in jail.

Secu’s should be patrolling there every square inch if what the DOODGERS said here there’s tons of secu’s out there.

• mazblast - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:57 PM

In the parking lot, after the game. Dodger fans (or at least local residents) drink beer, stomp the guts out of a guy in a Giants jersey who’d also had some beer. Lawyers try to blame the victim because he had beer.

6. renaado - Jun 27, 2014 at 11:55 AM

I can’t believe Stow’s lawyer pick that kind of statement to use as a verdict.

7. 18thstreet - Jun 27, 2014 at 12:13 PM

One does not need to believe in prohibition to acknowledge that alcohol causes a lot of problems in this country. We just shrug our shoulders because prohibition was a failure, but surely there are ways that consumption — and the harm from consumption — could be limited.

8. droman79 - Jun 27, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I never understood the need to get black out drunk in order to enjoy yourself, pretty pathetic, in my opinion. To me, there is no surer sign of immaturity…

I’m not talking 2-3 beers to take the edge off, I’m talking the idiots who ruin entire events because they don’t know when enough is enough.

9. blabidibla - Jun 27, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I think this is more about the security at the stadium than about the alcohol. Security under McCourt was reduced, and parking lot was security was almost nil. They’re using McCourt math to inflate actual numbers of personnel on hand.

Dodger’s will lose big on this one. Count on it.

10. TheMorningStar - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Yet marijuana is still illegal.

If both sides were high instead of blows, cheetos would have been thrown.

This country is a freakin mess when it comes to drugs…the bad one (alcohol) is celebrated while the benign one (ganja) is demonized.

• 22yearsagotoday - Jun 28, 2014 at 1:44 AM

Not for too much longer, to the chagrin of tobacco and alcoholic beverage companies everywhere.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3497)