Jun 27, 2014, 5:28 PM EST
Mets third baseman David Wright has been scratched from the lineup for tonight’s game against the Pirates in Pittsburgh with a sore left shoulder and the team announced that he’ll travel back to New York to undergo an MRI exam.
Wright had played in all 79 of the Mets’ games this season, hitting .277 with six homers and a career-worst .729 OPS. That includes .233 with a .715 OPS in 24 games this month, although Wright was riding a 10-game hitting streak in which he hit .385 with two homers.
Despite that recent success, Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Wright has been playing through shoulder pain for about three weeks. Eric Campbell is filling in for Wright at third base tonight, batting sixth.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)