Denard Span was worried that a fly ball would hit him in his “pretty face”

Jun 27, 2014, 1:32 PM EDT

Denard Span missed a fly ball last night in the Nats-Cubs game. But it was hardly his fault. The fog at Wrigley Field was pea soup stuff, and when the ball went into the air he had no chance to see it, let alone catch it. Watch:

The best part, though, was Span’s explanation of it after the game to NatsInsider:

“I didn’t even know it was coming at me, to be honest with you. I didn’t know where it was. I finally figured that the ball was coming towards me, because everybody was looking at me and pointing in my direction. But it is scary, because…once I figured out the ball was coming towards me, I didn’t want to look up. Because the last thing I wanted was to let a ball hit me in my pretty face.”

He ain’t wrong. He is a pretty handsome man.

In any event, the triple didn’t determine the outcome of the game, so pretty-face-preservation ended up being a totally defensible strategy.

1. sleepyirv - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I feel the same way with foul balls heading my way.

2. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Awww…

3. mlbfan8898 - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:52 PM

You’re a moron Craig. You obviously didn’t have the physical ability to play baseball at a high enough level to know it hurts like hell to get hit in the face by a ball.

• cur68 - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Oh, Craig’s the moron here, eh? He can read and write. Can you read? Because judging from your comment, that’s a “nope”.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 27, 2014 at 2:42 PM

What does C.C.’s ability (or lack thereof) to play baseball have to do with Denard Span losing that fly ball in the fog? Further, what does C.C. being a moron have to do with Denard Span losing that fly ball in the fog. Lastly, what does your post have to do with this article? Are you saying Denard Span had every right to turn his back and run to the warning track? Cause’ if you are saying this, I question YOUR ability to even watch (and grasp) the game of baseball. Let alone play it.

• mikhelb - Jun 27, 2014 at 4:48 PM

“what does C.C. being a moron have to do with Denard Span losing that fly ball in the fog”

LOL

4. natstowngreg - Jun 27, 2014 at 2:09 PM

It was odd, watching two MLB teams play–literally–in a fog. Thus, while Denard’s mishap was disappointing, it was understandable. Same as a ball in the sun–hard to catch what you can’t see.

5. El Bravo - Jun 27, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I played some beach volleyball and biked in that stuff last night. It was nuts out there.

6. stlouis1baseball - Jun 27, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I once lost the ball in the sun and took a softball to the jowl while turning a 5-4-3 double play. Didn’t turn the DP but I caught the sonofabitchin’ softball. And it hurt like nobody’s bidniss.

• bobmcbigballs - Jun 27, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Oh my God! That’s the coolest story I’ve ever heard in my life! Can you tell it again, do you have time?

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:05 PM

That’s the thing tiny bubbles. I don’t want/need/or give a damn about your affirmation, your opinion or how cool you think you are. Run along skippy! Sounds like you are being called home to finish the homework your summer school teacher gave you.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:11 PM

I see there was a jackass sale at the local walmart. Did you buy out the store, or did you leave some for everybody

• bobmcbigballs - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM

So sorry to disrespect you with that line from Superbad Mr. stlouis, perhaps that hit to the head made it difficult for you to tell a joke from something that necessitates a personal attack

• baberuthslegs - Jun 27, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Bob,
        Use quotation marks, and maybe indicate that you are referencing some kind of joke.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 27, 2014 at 6:16 PM

What the Babe said Bob. For what it’s worth, I hope those summer school classes are covering reading comprehension. It wasn’t a hit to the head. The jowl tiny bubbles. The jowl. Lol!
        In all seriousness though, I appreciate the explanation as I obviously didn’t see the movie.

• indaburg - Jun 27, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Most importantly, stlouis: did it mess up your pretty face?

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 27, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Lol! Yep. Had a bruise from my ear lobe all the way down my jowl to my neck. For like a week…week and a half. This happened two years ago and I still haven’t lived it down!

7. sensiblevoice - Jun 27, 2014 at 4:04 PM

What is this, PFT or something? Calm down guys.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 27, 2014 at 6:17 PM

I am good SV. Did it seem harsh? If so, my apologies good Sir.

8. gloccamorra - Jun 28, 2014 at 11:04 PM

The umpires are supposed to stop the game when conditions could cause injury to the players. I blame the crew chief, not Span. Besides, dental surgery is expensive.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate