Jun 27, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
I hadn’t seen this until Baseball Think Factory linked Phil Mushnick’s column at the New York Post. And I gotta say, if you ever find yourself agreeing with Phil Mushnick about something, man, there is something weird going on in the cosmos. But agree I do, as Mushnick was taking Mets broadcaster Keith Hernandez to task over his comments about Padres pitcher Alex Torres last Sunday.
As Mushnick describes, SNY put up a photo of Torres from the night before, wearing his protective cap. Hernandez mocked Torres for looking “absurd, and said “If you’re scared, get a dog.” As if a person wanting to protect themselves from a real threat is somehow a coward.
Maybe the cap isn’t the best looking thing in the world yet. But perhaps Hernandez could just note that without spewing macho crap that could, depending on who’s hearing it, make it less likely that players will take reasonable steps to protect themselves and adopt new safety devices as they come online.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)