Jun 27, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
I hadn’t seen this until Baseball Think Factory linked Phil Mushnick’s column at the New York Post. And I gotta say, if you ever find yourself agreeing with Phil Mushnick about something, man, there is something weird going on in the cosmos. But agree I do, as Mushnick was taking Mets broadcaster Keith Hernandez to task over his comments about Padres pitcher Alex Torres last Sunday.
As Mushnick describes, SNY put up a photo of Torres from the night before, wearing his protective cap. Hernandez mocked Torres for looking “absurd, and said “If you’re scared, get a dog.” As if a person wanting to protect themselves from a real threat is somehow a coward.
Maybe the cap isn’t the best looking thing in the world yet. But perhaps Hernandez could just note that without spewing macho crap that could, depending on who’s hearing it, make it less likely that players will take reasonable steps to protect themselves and adopt new safety devices as they come online.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 161
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (161)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)