Manny Ramirez went 0-for-4 in Triple-A player/coach debut

Jun 27, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT

manny ramirez dodgers getty Getty Images

Manny Ramirez made his debut as a Triple-A player/coach for the Cubs last night, going 0-for-4 with two strikeouts while playing left field and batting sixth in Iowa’s lineup.

After the game Ramirez told Cody Ulm of MLB.com:

It feels great just to be here … and to help the young guys just telling them my experiences and the things that I’ve went through. It’s a blessing just to be here.

Here’s video of Ramirez’s first Triple-A at-bat, in which he reached on an error:

Cubs president Theo Epstein has said repeatedly that Ramirez was signed strictly to help mentor the Cubs’ prospects in Iowa, namely slugging, high-upside infielders Javier Baez and Kris Bryant, so even if he actually plays well there at age 42 a return to the big leagues isn’t going to happen in Chicago.

In fact, according to Jesse Rogers of ESPN Chicago the plan is for Ramirez to play “sparingly” at Triple-A and, if for some reason another MLB team wanted to sign him and call him up to the big leagues, the Cubs would gladly let him go.

1. roundballsquarebox24 - Jun 27, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Good to see Manny back in the game. I would have made the headline something like “Manny Ramirez gets on base, drives in run in Triple-A player/coach debut”. It would have been nice to look at the glass as half-full. Hope this guy can transition into middle-age status happily, around the game he obviously loves just as much as anybody.

2. icanspeel - Jun 27, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Wonder if he will bench himself if he keeps going 0-4

• phantomspaceman - Jun 27, 2014 at 11:40 AM

He seems to have high expectations batting himself 6th.

3. 18thstreet - Jun 27, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Sure, but he went 1-3* as a coach.

* I don’t even know what I mean, but I’m cracking myself up.

4. musketmaniac - Jun 27, 2014 at 4:35 PM

wait til he homers twice in a game, than we’ll hear the talk

Three legends off to Cooperstown