Mookie Betts plays right field. Next stop, Boston?

Jun 27, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

red sox logo

Red Sox prospect Mookie Betts made his first career start in right field last night for Triple-A Pawtucket.

This is significant as we just learned the other day that Shane Victorino suffered a setback in his rehab from back and hamstring injuries this week. Thus the move to put Betts in right — he had been playing center field and is naturally a second baseman — seems calculated to fill a hole at the big league level. Or to at least give the Sox some data on which to consider it.

Betts, 21, has torn it up at the plate across two minor league levels this year, hitting a combined .348/.437/.523 with eight homers, 48 RBI and 29 stolen bases in Double- and Triple-A. He’s slated to play in the Future’s Game next month. At what position I have no damn idea.

1. cur68 - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:02 PM

MLB’s next Mookie? Awesome.

• southpaw2k - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:16 PM

There would be real irony if the next Mookie in baseball played for Boston.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 27, 2014 at 1:39 PM

I doubt that anything will erase the memory of Mookie Wilson and Bill Buckner.

• moistmuffins - Jun 27, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I think you mean “will be” because it’s definitely happening!

• buggieowens - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:37 PM

The Red Sox winning the W.S. three times in a decade did it for me. And dang, P.C., do you spend your entire time waiting to troll Red Sox fans?

• TheMorningStar - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Real Sox fans don’t only blame Buckner. Bob Stanley and John MacNamara were the true culprits in that 9th inning meltdown.

• raysfan1 - Jun 27, 2014 at 2:33 PM

His name alone will make him one of Craig’s favorite players.

• playball - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:01 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

• cur68 - Jun 27, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Totally agree. We all know Craig loves Mookie.

2. psousa1 - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:03 PM

2004, 2007, 2013. RS fans no longer care about Mookie Wilson or Bucky Dent.

• buggieowens - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:39 PM

I see with your post that my comments were not needed.

• 18thstreet - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:44 PM

For me, it was all worth it. 2004 wouldn’t have been nearly as awesome if they had won the World Series in 1946, the pennant in 1948, the pennant in 1978, the World Series in 1986, or the pennant in 2003. And 2004 was the greatest thing ever. So while I don’t forget Mookie or Dent or Zimmer or Grady, I’m sort of thankful for them.

• TheMorningStar - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Nah, fcuk that ‘defeatist’ mentality. I wanted the Sox to win it all in 1946, 1967, 1975, and 1986!

• 18thstreet - Jun 28, 2014 at 8:05 AM

I wanted it, too, But it didn’t happen.

• 18thstreet - Jun 28, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Not that I was alive in 1946 or remember anything before 1981.

3. tfbuckfutter - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:04 PM

No way will they season a prospect.

Not when Marlon Byrd will probably be available in trade soon enough.

4. sabatimus - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I don’t think Betts has been in Triple A long enough yet, but damn it would be nice to see him on the parent team. He made AA pitching look like chopped liver. Reached base in something like 51 straight games going back to last season.

• DavieO - Jun 27, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Why does it matter how long he’s been in AAA? Bring him up, it won’t hurt him. He’s playing above the level he is currently in, that means they need to challenge him by bringing him to the next level and see how he responds. I’d love to see an outfield of Holt, JBJ and Betts. Send Nava back down, see if anyone wants Gomes, Peavy, maybe even Breslow. Move De La Rosa and Workman into the rotation. Blow it up, give the kids a chance, and at least give fans something to look forward to in the future. Bring up Owens later this summer and let him start a few games.

5. hushbrother - Jun 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM

To paraphrase Ralph Kiner, Rookie Betts could be Mookie of the Year.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3086)