Jun 27, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
The Phillies have placed Carlos Ruiz on the seven-day concussion disabled list and called up Koyie Hill from Triple-A, Stephen Gross of the Morning Call reports. Ruiz was hit on the left ear flap of his helmet in the 11th inning of Thursday’s 14-inning victory over the Marlins. The Phillies designated outfielder for assignment to make room for Hill on the 40-man roster.
Ruiz has been hit by a pitch nine times this season, tied for the fourth-most in baseball. He has a penchant for getting hit by pitched baseballs, as he has been hit by a total of 42 since the start of the 2011 season, the fifth-most of any batter in that time span.
The 35-year-old catcher is in the first year of a three-year, $26 million contract extension signed last November. Ruiz is currently slashing .257/.363/.357 with two home runs and 14 RBI in 273 plate appearances.
The Phillies acquired Hill in a trade with the Nationals on March 17. With Triple-A Lehigh Valley, the 10-year major league veteran slashed .240/.341/.373 with three home runs and 17 RBI. With Wil Nieves also on the disabled list with a strained right quadriceps, their catching corps at the major league level now features Cameron Rupp and Hill.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)