Jun 27, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
The Phillies have placed Carlos Ruiz on the seven-day concussion disabled list and called up Koyie Hill from Triple-A, Stephen Gross of the Morning Call reports. Ruiz was hit on the left ear flap of his helmet in the 11th inning of Thursday’s 14-inning victory over the Marlins. The Phillies designated outfielder for assignment to make room for Hill on the 40-man roster.
Ruiz has been hit by a pitch nine times this season, tied for the fourth-most in baseball. He has a penchant for getting hit by pitched baseballs, as he has been hit by a total of 42 since the start of the 2011 season, the fifth-most of any batter in that time span.
The 35-year-old catcher is in the first year of a three-year, $26 million contract extension signed last November. Ruiz is currently slashing .257/.363/.357 with two home runs and 14 RBI in 273 plate appearances.
The Phillies acquired Hill in a trade with the Nationals on March 17. With Triple-A Lehigh Valley, the 10-year major league veteran slashed .240/.341/.373 with three home runs and 17 RBI. With Wil Nieves also on the disabled list with a strained right quadriceps, their catching corps at the major league level now features Cameron Rupp and Hill.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 26
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 43
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)