Jun 27, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
The Phillies have placed Carlos Ruiz on the seven-day concussion disabled list and called up Koyie Hill from Triple-A, Stephen Gross of the Morning Call reports. Ruiz was hit on the left ear flap of his helmet in the 11th inning of Thursday’s 14-inning victory over the Marlins. The Phillies designated outfielder for assignment to make room for Hill on the 40-man roster.
Ruiz has been hit by a pitch nine times this season, tied for the fourth-most in baseball. He has a penchant for getting hit by pitched baseballs, as he has been hit by a total of 42 since the start of the 2011 season, the fifth-most of any batter in that time span.
The 35-year-old catcher is in the first year of a three-year, $26 million contract extension signed last November. Ruiz is currently slashing .257/.363/.357 with two home runs and 14 RBI in 273 plate appearances.
The Phillies acquired Hill in a trade with the Nationals on March 17. With Triple-A Lehigh Valley, the 10-year major league veteran slashed .240/.341/.373 with three home runs and 17 RBI. With Wil Nieves also on the disabled list with a strained right quadriceps, their catching corps at the major league level now features Cameron Rupp and Hill.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 4
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 50
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)