Jun 27, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
The Phillies have placed Carlos Ruiz on the seven-day concussion disabled list and called up Koyie Hill from Triple-A, Stephen Gross of the Morning Call reports. Ruiz was hit on the left ear flap of his helmet in the 11th inning of Thursday’s 14-inning victory over the Marlins. The Phillies designated outfielder for assignment to make room for Hill on the 40-man roster.
Ruiz has been hit by a pitch nine times this season, tied for the fourth-most in baseball. He has a penchant for getting hit by pitched baseballs, as he has been hit by a total of 42 since the start of the 2011 season, the fifth-most of any batter in that time span.
The 35-year-old catcher is in the first year of a three-year, $26 million contract extension signed last November. Ruiz is currently slashing .257/.363/.357 with two home runs and 14 RBI in 273 plate appearances.
The Phillies acquired Hill in a trade with the Nationals on March 17. With Triple-A Lehigh Valley, the 10-year major league veteran slashed .240/.341/.373 with three home runs and 17 RBI. With Wil Nieves also on the disabled list with a strained right quadriceps, their catching corps at the major league level now features Cameron Rupp and Hill.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)