Jun 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Frieri, 28, enjoyed some success for the Angels in his new role as the closer last season, but faced unending difficulty this year. The right-hander is 0-3 with 11 saves in 14 chances and a 6.39 ERA. He struck out 38, walked nine, and allowed eight home runs in 31 innings.
Grilli, 37, lost his role as the Pirates’ closer to Mark Melancon when he went on the disabled list with a strained left oblique on April 21. He returned on May 23, and manager Clint Hurdle put him back in the closer’s role on May 30, but the results weren’t much better. Overall, Grilli was 0-2 with 11 saves in 15 chances and a 4.87 ERA. He struck out 21, walked 11, and allowed four home runs in 20 1/3 innings.
Angels manager Mike Scioscia isn’t immediately slotting Grilli in to the closer’s role, according to Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register. It’s not yet known how this trade will affect current Pirates closer Melancon. Melancon has performed well in the role for the Pirates thus far.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 121
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 64
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)