Jun 27, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
ESPN Boston’s Gordon Edes reports that the Red Sox have shut down third baseman Will Middlebrooks and outfielder Shane Victorino indefinitely. Neither player will be involved in baseball activities for the time being.
Middlebrooks, 25, suffered a broken right index finger after he was hit by a pitch on May 10. He was scratched from a rehab game on Monday when the finger swelled up. Middlebrooks slashed .197/.305/.324 with two home runs and nine runs batted in over 82 plate appearances.
Victorino, 33, has been out since May 24 with a strained right hamstring and back soreness. It’s the back soreness that continues to keep him out. Prior to the injuries, Victorino was slashing .242/.276/.352 with one home run and 10 RBI in 99 plate appearances.
It’s been a tough year for the defending world champions. They enter Friday’s action against the Yankees in fourth place in the AL East with a 36-43 record, eight games out of first place.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 32
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 9
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)