Jun 27, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
ESPN Boston’s Gordon Edes reports that the Red Sox have shut down third baseman Will Middlebrooks and outfielder Shane Victorino indefinitely. Neither player will be involved in baseball activities for the time being.
Middlebrooks, 25, suffered a broken right index finger after he was hit by a pitch on May 10. He was scratched from a rehab game on Monday when the finger swelled up. Middlebrooks slashed .197/.305/.324 with two home runs and nine runs batted in over 82 plate appearances.
Victorino, 33, has been out since May 24 with a strained right hamstring and back soreness. It’s the back soreness that continues to keep him out. Prior to the injuries, Victorino was slashing .242/.276/.352 with one home run and 10 RBI in 99 plate appearances.
It’s been a tough year for the defending world champions. They enter Friday’s action against the Yankees in fourth place in the AL East with a 36-43 record, eight games out of first place.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $40,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $6,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Aug 29, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
No doctor appointments are scheduled as a result, but soreness is not great news.
Aug 29, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
If you’re going to make the same arguments for him you did the past two years, you may want to re-think things.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
There can be only THREE!! True outcomes, that is.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
Which is the right thing to do.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Never mind that the dude has only been legally allowed inside a bar for about two years.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
The plot thickens. And becomes creamier. And is spread nicely between some two thin, chocolate cakes.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
It’s a bit early for this, of course.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
Could one or both of them be gone before the 2015 season begins?
Aug 29, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Afterwards, the pitching machine talked about wanting to work on his offspeed stuff because all big league hitters can turn on a fastball.
Aug 29, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
An addendum to yesterday’s post.
Aug 29, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
The AL it’s clear cut because there is a monster candidate. In the NL it’s because one guys is the least bad of many bad options.
Aug 29, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
Commandment Number One of being a professional athlete: don’t let anyone know you’re not a fan of your team’s city.
Aug 29, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
Which, in all likelihood, will be his last start for the Cardinals this year.
Aug 29, 2014, 8:47 AM EDT
A big housing unit for the Big Unit.
Aug 29, 2014, 7:35 AM EDT
And an ice cream sandwich — used for taunting purposes — was involved.
Aug 29, 2014, 6:58 AM EDT
Yet another protested game in a week full of protests. This one isn’t going anywhere, though.
Aug 28, 2014, 11:02 PM EDT
Herrera, who was acquired from the Pirates in the Marlon Byrd deal last August, was batting .340/.406/.560 with 10 homers and 48 RBI over 61 games in Double-A this season.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:21 PM EDT
Outman had a 3.28 ERA and 24/16 K/BB ratio over 24 2/3 innings with the Indians this season.
Aug 28, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
Every time Alex Gordon steps to the plate at Kauffman Stadium these days, fans chant, “M-V-P, M-V-P,” which is fascinating on so many levels.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Vic Black has emerged as an effective late-inning bridge for the Mets this season, but now he’s headed to the 15-day disabled list with a herniated disk in his neck.
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 2
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 216
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (216)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)