Jun 27, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The other day the A’s announced their new ten-year lease for the Oakland Coliseum. That same day Bud Selig issued a statement praising the new deal and saying that Major League Baseball is committed to Oakland. Yesterday the Oakland mayor said “not so fast, this still has to be approved, you know.”
The anticipated approval of a 10-year-lease deal between the Oakland Athletics and the Coliseum authority was canceled Friday when representatives from the city of Oakland failed to show up for the meeting.
Four members of the 8-member Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority – which operates O.co Coliseum – apparently boycotted the meeting, sources said. Without their participation, there was no quorum and a vote could not be taken.
Apparently the city ordered its members of the Coliseum Authority — including one who helped negotiate the lease extension herself — to not attend. Over some sort of city-county pissing match. As always, all of the context you need can be found over at NewBallpark.org.
Maybe you want to wait a bit before sending around congratulatory press releases, eh Bud?
And maybe — just maybe — you should’ve figured out a way to get the A’s to San Jose five years ago.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)