Jun 27, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
The other day the A’s announced their new ten-year lease for the Oakland Coliseum. That same day Bud Selig issued a statement praising the new deal and saying that Major League Baseball is committed to Oakland. Yesterday the Oakland mayor said “not so fast, this still has to be approved, you know.”
The anticipated approval of a 10-year-lease deal between the Oakland Athletics and the Coliseum authority was canceled Friday when representatives from the city of Oakland failed to show up for the meeting.
Four members of the 8-member Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority – which operates O.co Coliseum – apparently boycotted the meeting, sources said. Without their participation, there was no quorum and a vote could not be taken.
Apparently the city ordered its members of the Coliseum Authority — including one who helped negotiate the lease extension herself — to not attend. Over some sort of city-county pissing match. As always, all of the context you need can be found over at NewBallpark.org.
Maybe you want to wait a bit before sending around congratulatory press releases, eh Bud?
And maybe — just maybe — you should’ve figured out a way to get the A’s to San Jose five years ago.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)