Jun 27, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
The other day the A’s announced their new ten-year lease for the Oakland Coliseum. That same day Bud Selig issued a statement praising the new deal and saying that Major League Baseball is committed to Oakland. Yesterday the Oakland mayor said “not so fast, this still has to be approved, you know.”
The anticipated approval of a 10-year-lease deal between the Oakland Athletics and the Coliseum authority was canceled Friday when representatives from the city of Oakland failed to show up for the meeting.
Four members of the 8-member Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority – which operates O.co Coliseum – apparently boycotted the meeting, sources said. Without their participation, there was no quorum and a vote could not be taken.
Apparently the city ordered its members of the Coliseum Authority — including one who helped negotiate the lease extension herself — to not attend. Over some sort of city-county pissing match. As always, all of the context you need can be found over at NewBallpark.org.
Maybe you want to wait a bit before sending around congratulatory press releases, eh Bud?
And maybe — just maybe — you should’ve figured out a way to get the A’s to San Jose five years ago.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 248
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (253)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)