Jun 27, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Downs signed with the White Sox in January for $4.25 million and reported to camp in The Best Shape Of His Life, but it resulted in an ugly 6.08 ERA with 15 walks in 24 innings. As recently as last season Downs posted a 2.49 ERA in 43 innings for the Braves and Angels, so even at age 38 it’s possible he still has a little something left in the tank for a team in need of middle relief help.
Chicago felt he struggled too much versus right-handed hitters to trust Downs as more than a situational southpaw and they didn’t want to use a bullpen spot on a role that limited, which is why Triple-A left-hander Eric Surkamp was called up to replace him. Downs will no doubt pass through waivers unclaimed, because none of the other 29 teams will want to touch the $2.5 million or so remaining on his contract.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 3
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 10
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)