Jun 28, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
Some potentially bad news for the Braves: catcher Evan Gattis left last night’s game against the Phillies in the first inning with back spasms. He appeared to tweak something during his at-bat in the first inning and was replaced by Gerald Laird for the bottom half of the inning.
Gattis is listed as day-to-day. For what it’s worth, manager Fredi Gonzalez is optimistic:
“If he DLs, it’s going to be 15 days without him. And [head trainer Jeff Porter] doesn’t seem to think it’s going to be that long. So we’re not thinking about that move right now . . . he assured me that this could clear up in the next day or two.”
Of course Gonzalez is also optimistic that B.J. Upton is a leadoff hitter, so who knows.
Gattis is hitting .290/.342/.558 with 16 homers on the season.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)