Jun 28, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
If you needed a reason to tune into this year’s Home Run Derby at Target Field, this is it: Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton has agreed to participate, reports MLB.com’s Caitlin Swieca. MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro has also tweeted the news.
Stanton is the current National League leader in home runs and RBI with 21 and 59, respectively. The 24-year-old is now in his fifth major league season, but has never participated in the Home Run Derby before. Injuries have played a role, as Stanton underwent surgery on his right knee just before the All-Star break in 2012, and suffered a strained right hamstring in the first half last season.
Jose Bautista and Troy Tulowitzki are the captains of the American League and National League Home Run Derby squads, respectively. The Derby will feature new rules. Each of ten sluggers will get seven outs per round. The player from each league with the most home runs will get a bye to the third round, while the next two players from each league will battle it out in the second round with the winner advancing to the third round.
You can watch the Home Derby on Monday, July 14 at 8 PM ET on ESPN. Athletics outfielder Yoenis Cespedes won last year’s event.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)