Jun 28, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Marlins outfielder Christian Yelich will return from the disabled list on Sunday, and when he does, he’ll take back his spot in left field, while Marcell Ozuna will slide back to center field, MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports. As a result, Jake Marisnick — who has been playing in center field with Yelich absent — will be squeezed out and could even be sent back to Triple-A.
Yelich, 22, has been on the disabled list since June 14 with a lower back strain. Prior to the injury, he slashed .259/.342/.418 with six home runs, 24 RBI, and 10 stolen bases.
Marisnick, 23, has struggled in 47 plate appearances at the major league level. Entering Saturday’s action, he is slashing .159/.213/.159 with no homers or RBI and five stolen bases. Entering the season, Marisnick ranked among baseball’s 100 best prospects according to both Baseball America and MLB.com.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)