Jun 28, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
Marlins outfielder Christian Yelich will return from the disabled list on Sunday, and when he does, he’ll take back his spot in left field, while Marcell Ozuna will slide back to center field, MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports. As a result, Jake Marisnick — who has been playing in center field with Yelich absent — will be squeezed out and could even be sent back to Triple-A.
Yelich, 22, has been on the disabled list since June 14 with a lower back strain. Prior to the injury, he slashed .259/.342/.418 with six home runs, 24 RBI, and 10 stolen bases.
Marisnick, 23, has struggled in 47 plate appearances at the major league level. Entering Saturday’s action, he is slashing .159/.213/.159 with no homers or RBI and five stolen bases. Entering the season, Marisnick ranked among baseball’s 100 best prospects according to both Baseball America and MLB.com.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 14
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 28
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)