Jun 28, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Marlins outfielder Christian Yelich will return from the disabled list on Sunday, and when he does, he’ll take back his spot in left field, while Marcell Ozuna will slide back to center field, MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports. As a result, Jake Marisnick — who has been playing in center field with Yelich absent — will be squeezed out and could even be sent back to Triple-A.
Yelich, 22, has been on the disabled list since June 14 with a lower back strain. Prior to the injury, he slashed .259/.342/.418 with six home runs, 24 RBI, and 10 stolen bases.
Marisnick, 23, has struggled in 47 plate appearances at the major league level. Entering Saturday’s action, he is slashing .159/.213/.159 with no homers or RBI and five stolen bases. Entering the season, Marisnick ranked among baseball’s 100 best prospects according to both Baseball America and MLB.com.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 3
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)