Jun 28, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Marlins outfielder Christian Yelich will return from the disabled list on Sunday, and when he does, he’ll take back his spot in left field, while Marcell Ozuna will slide back to center field, MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports. As a result, Jake Marisnick — who has been playing in center field with Yelich absent — will be squeezed out and could even be sent back to Triple-A.
Yelich, 22, has been on the disabled list since June 14 with a lower back strain. Prior to the injury, he slashed .259/.342/.418 with six home runs, 24 RBI, and 10 stolen bases.
Marisnick, 23, has struggled in 47 plate appearances at the major league level. Entering Saturday’s action, he is slashing .159/.213/.159 with no homers or RBI and five stolen bases. Entering the season, Marisnick ranked among baseball’s 100 best prospects according to both Baseball America and MLB.com.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 5
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 44
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (83)