Jun 29, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
From MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert comes word that the Diamondbacks have placed shortstop Chris Owings on the 15-day disabled list because of a left shoulder injury. Nick Ahmed had his contract purchased from Triple-A Reno in a corresponding 25-man roster move and Eric Chavez (knee) was shifted to the 60-day disabled list to open a spot on the 40-man roster.
Owings is undergoing an MRI Sunday to determine the exact severity of the shoulder problem that has been bothering him since the middle of last week.
The 22-year-old has hit .277/.313/.458 with six home runs and 21 RBI in 72 games this season for the Diamondbacks, who will use Ahmed and Didi Gregorius at shortstop in his absence. Arizona (35-48) enters play Sunday tied for last place in the National League West.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 18
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 34
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)