Jun 29, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
From MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert comes word that the Diamondbacks have placed shortstop Chris Owings on the 15-day disabled list because of a left shoulder injury. Nick Ahmed had his contract purchased from Triple-A Reno in a corresponding 25-man roster move and Eric Chavez (knee) was shifted to the 60-day disabled list to open a spot on the 40-man roster.
Owings is undergoing an MRI Sunday to determine the exact severity of the shoulder problem that has been bothering him since the middle of last week.
The 22-year-old has hit .277/.313/.458 with six home runs and 21 RBI in 72 games this season for the Diamondbacks, who will use Ahmed and Didi Gregorius at shortstop in his absence. Arizona (35-48) enters play Sunday tied for last place in the National League West.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)