Jun 29, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
From MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert comes word that the Diamondbacks have placed shortstop Chris Owings on the 15-day disabled list because of a left shoulder injury. Nick Ahmed had his contract purchased from Triple-A Reno in a corresponding 25-man roster move and Eric Chavez (knee) was shifted to the 60-day disabled list to open a spot on the 40-man roster.
Owings is undergoing an MRI Sunday to determine the exact severity of the shoulder problem that has been bothering him since the middle of last week.
The 22-year-old has hit .277/.313/.458 with six home runs and 21 RBI in 72 games this season for the Diamondbacks, who will use Ahmed and Didi Gregorius at shortstop in his absence. Arizona (35-48) enters play Sunday tied for last place in the National League West.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 26
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 5
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)