Jun 29, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Giants manager Bruce Bochy announced Sunday afternoon — as relayed by Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle — that right-hander Sergio Romo has been stripped of the club’s closer gig. The Giants plan to use a committee for a while, with righty Santiago Casilla and lefty Jeremy Affeldt getting the majority of the save opportunities.
Romo blew his fifth save of the season on Saturday night when he allowed a two-run homer to Brandon Phillips in the top of the ninth inning after issuing a leadoff walk to Joey Votto. The Giants lost the tilt in extra innings and are now just one game up on the surging Dodgers in the NL West standings.
Romo owns a rough 5.17 ERA in 31 1/3 total innings this season for San Francisco.
He had a 2.54 ERA in 60 1/3 innings last season and a 1.79 ERA in 2012.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 38
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 35
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)