Jun 29, 2014, 4:37 PM EST
Giants manager Bruce Bochy announced Sunday afternoon — as relayed by Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle — that right-hander Sergio Romo has been stripped of the club’s closer gig. The Giants plan to use a committee for a while, with righty Santiago Casilla and lefty Jeremy Affeldt getting the majority of the save opportunities.
Romo blew his fifth save of the season on Saturday night when he allowed a two-run homer to Brandon Phillips in the top of the ninth inning after issuing a leadoff walk to Joey Votto. The Giants lost the tilt in extra innings and are now just one game up on the surging Dodgers in the NL West standings.
Romo owns a rough 5.17 ERA in 31 1/3 total innings this season for San Francisco.
He had a 2.54 ERA in 60 1/3 innings last season and a 1.79 ERA in 2012.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 26
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 281
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (281)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)