Jun 29, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Giants manager Bruce Bochy announced Sunday afternoon — as relayed by Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle — that right-hander Sergio Romo has been stripped of the club’s closer gig. The Giants plan to use a committee for a while, with righty Santiago Casilla and lefty Jeremy Affeldt getting the majority of the save opportunities.
Romo blew his fifth save of the season on Saturday night when he allowed a two-run homer to Brandon Phillips in the top of the ninth inning after issuing a leadoff walk to Joey Votto. The Giants lost the tilt in extra innings and are now just one game up on the surging Dodgers in the NL West standings.
Romo owns a rough 5.17 ERA in 31 1/3 total innings this season for San Francisco.
He had a 2.54 ERA in 60 1/3 innings last season and a 1.79 ERA in 2012.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)