Jun 29, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Giants manager Bruce Bochy announced Sunday afternoon — as relayed by Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle — that right-hander Sergio Romo has been stripped of the club’s closer gig. The Giants plan to use a committee for a while, with righty Santiago Casilla and lefty Jeremy Affeldt getting the majority of the save opportunities.
Romo blew his fifth save of the season on Saturday night when he allowed a two-run homer to Brandon Phillips in the top of the ninth inning after issuing a leadoff walk to Joey Votto. The Giants lost the tilt in extra innings and are now just one game up on the surging Dodgers in the NL West standings.
Romo owns a rough 5.17 ERA in 31 1/3 total innings this season for San Francisco.
He had a 2.54 ERA in 60 1/3 innings last season and a 1.79 ERA in 2012.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 0
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)