Albert Pujols has a swollen lymph node in his groin

Jun 30, 2014, 9:45 AM EST

Screen Shot 2014-06-30 at 9.05.06 AM AP

It’s been a bad run of late for Albert Pujols. After a solid April, his average and on-base percentage have been pretty dismal in May and June. His power has been alright, but he has definitely looked like an older and less-effective player in recent weeks. A sore back has hampered him. Now something else is hampering him. From the L.A. Times:

[Pujols]¬†disclosed after Sunday’s game that he has played with a swollen lymph node in his left groin since Wednesday.

The Angels did not send Pujols to a doctor. Pujols said the team athletic trainers considered the condition more of an infection than an injury, even with what he said was a gland swollen to the size of a golf ball.

“I’m pretty sure I’ll be all right,” Pujols said. “They say it’s one of those things that should go away.”

The ailment led to him being thrown out at second on what would otherwise have been a sure-double. It and his back have limited him to DH duties of late. He simply can’t run.

Figure on some time off for Pujols, but also figure that this is now the new normal for a guy who was once the best hitter in all of baseball.

1. jarathen - Jun 30, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I wonder if it’s at all related to the swelling of his head. You know, from his inflated ego.

Pujols is already an awful baserunner, so yay.

What a disaster fire this contract has been and will continue to be.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 30, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Actually, back with the Cards, he knew his limitations, and didn’t try to exceed them, but didn’t sell himself short, either. Within his speed, he was always a “plus” baserunner.

You? You’re still a “minus” commenter.

• mordecofe - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:04 AM

What’s your point? At one point he was a good baserunner, yes. He’s an awful baserunner now. Constantly getting thrown out trying to take an extra base. It’s painful to watch. He clearly has no idea of his own limitations. Jarathen is right.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Maybe he is trying to push too hard through his current limitations; that makes him a temporarily non-smart baserunner. As for “inflated head,” etc., I’d say that might just apply to jarathen.

• jarathen - Jul 3, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I’m a die-hard Angels fan who was really hoping we’d at least see some Tim Salmon-like production from Albert Pujols. Instead I’ve seen a prima donna who doesn’t seem to realize he’s maybe half the player he was five years ago but refuses to understand that. He’s been trying to take bases like he’s Mike Trout and costing his team outs on the basepaths when he manages to get on base. It’s all true and has nothing to do with my ego.

• tomass1947 - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I’d call you a dick head, but that has a purpose, and you certainly don’t

2. chill1184 - Jun 30, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Thats got to be painful as hell

3. stex52 - Jun 30, 2014 at 9:50 AM

I think if I were Albert I would go very quickly to a physician for a second opinion. If the trainers are wrong there are several unpleasant possibilities for what it might be.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 30, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Yes, no offense to the team trainers, but that job is not quite the same as a GP or specialist. I’d go see the Dr. if I was Mr. Pujols.

• tomass1947 - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Stupidest trainer I’ve ever heard of, must be part ostrich.

• paperlions - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Indeed, not that GPs know their limits either. They also regularly offer diagnoses they are not qualified to render that would better to left to specialists.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Righto …. don’t want Mr. Cancer to get a head start, on even the slightest possibility something like that is up.

• raysfan1 - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Mr. Abscess either.

4. chargrz - Jun 30, 2014 at 9:51 AM

That happens when you do roids.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Really, troll? “Swelling in groin” is on your designated checklist for alleged roiding, rather than simply marking this as another sign of aging?

• stex52 - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Why don’t you compile a list for us of everything that happens when you “do roids”? I’m sure it would be fascinating.

Except that it would be a list compiled by an idiot.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM

This right here…

“Except that it would be a list compiled by an idiot.”

• zzalapski - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Full of sound and fury
        Signifying nothing

• stex52 - Jun 30, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Thanks, Mr. Macbeth. Wish I had come up with that when I was writing the comment.

• asimonetti88 - Jun 30, 2014 at 2:41 PM

As long as we’re making stuff up, this is also something that happens when you have AIDS. Pujols probably got it while injecting steroids with a dirty needle. Right?

5. mybrunoblog - Jun 30, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Every time another Pujols injury report is made public, a half dozen guys in the Cardinals front office shake their heads and thank God they didn’t resign this guy.

• umrguy42 - Jun 30, 2014 at 2:14 PM

…And yet another half dozen Cardinals fans do the same :)

6. kycardsfan - Jun 30, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Been a rough 2 1/2 years for him since he left St Louis. Honestly feel bad for the guy.

• infieldhit - Jun 30, 2014 at 1:31 PM

I’m sure Angel fans wish he were doing better, if only to justify the contract as much as one could.

He does a lot for charity and is probably a great guy, but his preferential treatment, and lack of humility and accountability with regard to his play, just make it hard for us to pull for him.

7. renaado - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:10 AM

“size of a golf ball”

Dang…

8. aceshigh11 - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Everybody is so happy to piss on this guy’s grave. I don’t get it…I think it’s sad. He probably had one of the greatest starts to an MLB career for a hitter…well, EVER.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Agree Aces. I will always be thankful for his contributions to the organization. While also having a little disdain for him leaving like he did. But I wish him nothing but the best. If you look at his numbers…there is no “probably” to it. His first ten years…the guy put up the best numbers of anyone to ever play the game.

• stex52 - Jun 30, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I’m sure the smart fans in St. Louis will always have a soft spot for Albert, no matter how unfortunate the parting. Two World Series championships and the chance to see a truly generational talent play the best ball of his career.

I would like to see him put it all together again for a whole year; but every year he scuffles makes it less likely. He is far from terrible now, but he isn’t Albert as we knew him.

9. echech88 - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:22 AM

It better be serious because he got thrown out WALKING into 2nd base yesterday on a would-be double that was then followed by a home run. Angels lost by 1 three innings later.

10. andreweac - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Mr. “Check my career stats” has the worst contract in the history of professional sports. As an Angels fan I’m tired of this clown saying “check my career stats” as an answer to difficult questions.

Dude sucks now. The team would have been better off signing Napoli to a $200 million deal after 2010 than landing Wells and the Albertross.

Pujols could certainly do something Angel fans would thank him for — retire to stop the bleeding of his horrifying contract.

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Actually, per previous posts’ threads, he doesn’t “suck.” He’s just not worth $25M. He does have an OPS+ above 120, and is actually, even with the recent downturn, playing ahead of where he was last year.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:56 AM

You and your “facts” and “reason” and “sense of perspective” have no place here. This…is…THE INTERNET!

• SocraticGadfly - Jun 30, 2014 at 12:53 PM

That will only be true for one more year, if it is now.

Don’t forget that Miggy hasn’t even started his new contract yet. He’s the same age as Pujols in his last year in St. Louis, and he’s starting to age a bit himself.

• carpi2 - Jul 1, 2014 at 10:40 PM

As a Phillies fan, I will trade you Pujols for Howard sraight up. You then will get a fist hand look at “the worst contract in the history of professional sports.”

11. tomass1947 - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM

How can they not send him to doctor, that isn’t a lymph node one ignores.

• carpi2 - Jul 1, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Maybe they are privately hoping he contracts advanced cancer, forcing him to retire way before the termination of his contract?

12. sfm073 - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Yeah I had a swollen lymph node in my groin and it ended up being cancer. He’s out of the typical age range for the cancer I had, buts hard to believe that they aren’t going to further investigate.

13. infieldhit - Jun 30, 2014 at 1:21 PM

He said he’s not worried about missing any time. And I guess when Scioscia is your manager, and you’re a veteran who’s put up great numbers (in the distant past), sure, you can be confident in saying that.

And I’m sure that garners a positive spirit among the smaller-name guys in the clubhouse.

14. randygnyc - Jun 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Yeah, I’d be pulling hamstrings and tearing ligaments while sprinting to a specialist to get a second opinion and perhaps a biopsy, if I were Albert

15. jfk69 - Jul 1, 2014 at 4:16 AM

His career and injury rate lately is looking suspiciously like Jason Giambi ‘s. Right down to the groin issue. Hmmmmm
    Just saying