Jun 30, 2014, 5:07 PM EDT
UPDATE: In addition to pitching poorly enough to justify being released, Pineiro has been handed a 50-game suspension from MLB for “a prohibited stimulant.” Pretty safe to say his career is over.
Joel Pineiro’s latest comeback attempt is over, as Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Angels have released the veteran right-hander from Triple-A.
Pineiro was once a solid mid-rotation starter for the Mariners, Cardinals, and Angels, earning nearly $50 million over a 12-year career, but he hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2011 and at age 35 he looks finished.
He had a 7.48 ERA in four starts at Triple-A for the Angels and was previously released from Double-A by the Cubs earlier this season.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)