Jun 30, 2014, 5:07 PM EST
UPDATE: In addition to pitching poorly enough to justify being released, Pineiro has been handed a 50-game suspension from MLB for “a prohibited stimulant.” Pretty safe to say his career is over.
Joel Pineiro’s latest comeback attempt is over, as Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Angels have released the veteran right-hander from Triple-A.
Pineiro was once a solid mid-rotation starter for the Mariners, Cardinals, and Angels, earning nearly $50 million over a 12-year career, but he hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2011 and at age 35 he looks finished.
He had a 7.48 ERA in four starts at Triple-A for the Angels and was previously released from Double-A by the Cubs earlier this season.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 10
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 152
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (153)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)