Jun 30, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
We learned earlier today that the Astros’ much-ballyhooed “Ground Control” computer system was hacked — or at least someone who had access to it leaked a bunch of information — giving insight to various trade discussions the team has had across MLB. Per Brian McTaggart of MLB.com, the Astros released the following statement this afternoon in response to the Deadspin report:
“Last month, we were made aware that proprietary information held on Astros’ servers and in Astros’ applications had been illegally obtained. Upon learning of the security breach, we immediately notified MLB security who, in turn, notified the FBI. Since that time, we have been working closely with MLB security and the FBI to the determine the party, or parties, responsible. This information was illegally obtained and published, and we intend to prosecute those involved to the fullest extent.
“It is unfortunate and extremely disappointing that an outside source has illegally obtained confidential information. While it does appear that some of the content released was based on trade conversations, a portion of the material was embellished or completely fabricated.”
This leak could make things a little uncomfortable for the Astros, not just with other teams around MLB, but also with their own players, so it makes sense that they’d go into damage control mode by mentioning that some of the information was embellished or fabricated.
Interestingly, Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow told Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle that Deadspin did not give a heads up on the story prior to publishing it. However, Deadspin claims that they emailed someone in the front office first.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 7
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 44
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 83
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 68
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)