Jun 30, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jake Arrieta‘s no-hit bid was snapped with two outs in the eighth inning. After Arrieta struck out Mike Napoli looking and got Xander Bogaerts to fly out, Stephen Drew ripped a single to right field to give the Red Sox their first hit of the night. Arrieta, who threw a season-high 120 pitches, was quickly removed from the game to a nice ovation from the Fenway Park crowd.
No-hitter or not, it was a heck of an outing. Arrieta’s evolution continues to be fun to watch. The 28-year-old now has a 1.81 ERA and 74/16 K/BB ratio in 64 2/3 innings over 11 starts this season.
9:27 p.m. ET: Cubs right-hander Jake Arrieta didn’t allow his first baserunner until the seventh inning last Tuesday night against the Reds and he’s flirting with history again tonight.
Arrieta has tossed seven no-hit innings tonight against the Red Sox at Fenway Park in Boston. The only baserunner against him so far was a one-out walk to Mike Napoli in the fifth inning. He has struck out nine batters and thrown 103 pitches over his seven frames of work. For what it’s worth, his season-high is 105 pitches and his career-high is 114, so he’ll have to go into uncharted territory in order to finish this one off.
Coming into tonight’s outing, Arrieta had a 1.14 ERA and 38/5 K/BB ratio over five starts this month. He’s always had the ability, but he’s finally putting it all together.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)