UPDATE: Stephen Drew snaps Jake Arrieta’s no-hit bid in the eighth inning

Jun 30, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT

Jake Arrieta Getty Getty Images

UPDATE: Jake Arrieta‘s no-hit bid was snapped with two outs in the eighth inning. After Arrieta struck out Mike Napoli looking and got Xander Bogaerts to fly out, Stephen Drew ripped a single to right field to give the Red Sox their first hit of the night. Arrieta, who threw a season-high 120 pitches, was quickly removed from the game to a nice ovation from the Fenway Park crowd.

No-hitter or not, it was a heck of an outing. Arrieta’s evolution continues to be fun to watch. The 28-year-old now has a 1.81 ERA and 74/16 K/BB ratio in 64 2/3 innings over 11 starts this season.

9:27 p.m. ET: Cubs right-hander Jake Arrieta didn’t allow his first baserunner until the seventh inning last Tuesday night against the Reds and he’s flirting with history again tonight.

Arrieta has tossed seven no-hit innings tonight against the Red Sox at Fenway Park in Boston. The only baserunner against him so far was a one-out walk to Mike Napoli in the fifth inning. He has struck out nine batters and thrown 103 pitches over his seven frames of work. For what it’s worth, his season-high is 105 pitches and his career-high is 114, so he’ll have to go into uncharted territory in order to finish this one off.

Coming into tonight’s outing, Arrieta had a 1.14 ERA and 38/5 K/BB ratio over five starts this month. He’s always had the ability, but he’s finally putting it all together.

1. djdvd - Jun 30, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Napoli was heard saying “What an idiot!” As he walked to first

2. spyder9669 - Jun 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Of course he learned how to pitch after he’s not on the Orioles anymore. They gave him endless chances. Go figure

3. tfbuckfutter - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Stephen Drew breaking up a no-hitter reminds me of Carl Everett breaking up Mussina’s perfect game in 2001.

He was also completely useless that year and the Red Sox were also terrible.

That’s how it reminds me of that.

• 18thstreet - Jul 1, 2014 at 6:58 AM

Ah, the 2001 Red Sox. The most loathsome team I ever had to root for. It’s hard to believe that they were in the ALCS two years later, given what a total wreck that team was.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 1, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Them and, I assume, every single version of the thuggish, loathsome Bruins.

• 18thstreet - Jul 1, 2014 at 9:18 AM

I’ve never really been a big Bruins fan. Back in 1986, 1988, I was into them, but that’s what middle schoolers do. It hasn’t been the same since they stopped having two guys named Sweeny. Er, Sweeney. I can’t remember.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 1, 2014 at 9:30 AM

God the Bruins used to be so awful.

Like 4 or 5 years in a row their crappy front office let their leading (and usually only) goal scorer leave.

Don’t know exactly when Jacobs decided to stop being such a bastard, and I’ve only half heartedly followed hockey since the strike, but it’s at least been nice to not hate the franchise anymore.

• 18thstreet - Jul 1, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I really like hockey a lot. I don’t know why I’ve never quite latched onto a team. I was on the Capitals’ bandwagon here for a little while, but it didn’t stick.

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 1, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Hockey used to be my favorite sport.

But the Bruins disinterest in being anything but mediocre put a damper on my enthusiasm over time, and then the strike pretty much killed my desire to actively follow the game. It had gotten to the point where I was still following out of habit, and then the strike broke that habit and I didn’t have a desire to commit to it again.

I still enjoy it, but I won’t go out of my way to watch it until the playoffs roll around (ditto basketball, but only if the Celtics are in it or I’m tired of hearing about a certain team and want to watch them lose).

4. missingdiz - Jun 30, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Stephen Effing Drew!

5. kastout11 - Jul 1, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Are the Cubs really going to trade JS and Arrieta? At times, they look they might actually be relevant is a couple of years. I don’t understand why they feel the need to trade any descent pitcher they have. Probably so when their offense comes together, they will have no starting pitching, so will continue to lose. Same old Cubs.

• delusionalcubsfan - Jul 1, 2014 at 3:39 PM

No they’re not. Doubtful they were ever going to trade Arrieta, but they are willing to “listen” on everyone which is not a bad idea when you’re a last place team. They might not even trade Samardzija if they don’t get an offer they like. He’s still under control for another year so if noone meets their price they’re not going to just give him away.

6. yahmule - Jul 1, 2014 at 10:06 AM

The guy has like one hit all year and it breaks up a no-no.

7. jwbiii - Jul 2, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Jake Arrieta can’t catch a break. Has the best month of his career:
    39.1 IP 0.92 ERA, 48 K/6 W, .686 WHIP
    Kershaw bests him
    44.0 IP 0.82 ERA, 61 K/4 BB, .682 WHIP
    plus the no-hitter, so not even the NL Pitcher of the Month for Arrieta.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. Y. Molina (3176)