Jun 30, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
As expected, the Nationals have activated Bryce Harper from the disabled list for tonight’s game against the Rockies after the outfielder missed two months with a torn ligament in his left thumb that required surgery.
Harper finished up his minor-league rehab assignment by smacking three homers in a Double-A game and went 9-for-14 (.643) with four homers on the rehab stint overall.
Harper will resume starting every day in left field, where Ryan Zimmerman has been playing since returning from the disabled list himself in early June. Zimmerman has played well there defensively considering he was a career-long third baseman and spoke last week about actually preferring to remain in the outfield because of his chronic shoulder problems, but he hit just .198 in 25 games as a left fielder and the Nationals have said all along that he’ll move back to the infield once Harper is ready.
There could be some drama and tough decisions on the horizon if Zimmerman’s throwing issues or shoulder problems resurface, but for now the Nationals are at full strength with a 43-38 record and half the season remaining.
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 2
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (92)