Jun 30, 2014, 11:01 PM EST
Bad news for the Braves this evening, as the team has announced that Evan Gattis is headed to the disabled list with a bulging thoracic disc in his back.
There’s no clear timetable for Gattis’ return. He’s scheduled to receive an epidural to treat the injury, so more should be known depending on how he responds. With Gattis sidelined, rookie Christian Bethancourt figures to get an extended look behind the plate.
Losing Gattis is a tough blow to Atlanta’s offense, as he’s batting .290/.342/.558 with 16 home runs and 39 RBI over 63 games this season. The 27-year-old leads all MLB catchers in home runs.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)