Jun 30, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Bad news for the Braves this evening, as the team has announced that Evan Gattis is headed to the disabled list with a bulging thoracic disc in his back.
There’s no clear timetable for Gattis’ return. He’s scheduled to receive an epidural to treat the injury, so more should be known depending on how he responds. With Gattis sidelined, rookie Christian Bethancourt figures to get an extended look behind the plate.
Losing Gattis is a tough blow to Atlanta’s offense, as he’s batting .290/.342/.558 with 16 home runs and 39 RBI over 63 games this season. The 27-year-old leads all MLB catchers in home runs.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)