Jun 30, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Bad news for the Braves this evening, as the team has announced that Evan Gattis is headed to the disabled list with a bulging thoracic disc in his back.
There’s no clear timetable for Gattis’ return. He’s scheduled to receive an epidural to treat the injury, so more should be known depending on how he responds. With Gattis sidelined, rookie Christian Bethancourt figures to get an extended look behind the plate.
Losing Gattis is a tough blow to Atlanta’s offense, as he’s batting .290/.342/.558 with 16 home runs and 39 RBI over 63 games this season. The 27-year-old leads all MLB catchers in home runs.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 3
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 11
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (75)