Jun 30, 2014, 11:01 PM EST
Bad news for the Braves this evening, as the team has announced that Evan Gattis is headed to the disabled list with a bulging thoracic disc in his back.
There’s no clear timetable for Gattis’ return. He’s scheduled to receive an epidural to treat the injury, so more should be known depending on how he responds. With Gattis sidelined, rookie Christian Bethancourt figures to get an extended look behind the plate.
Losing Gattis is a tough blow to Atlanta’s offense, as he’s batting .290/.342/.558 with 16 home runs and 39 RBI over 63 games this season. The 27-year-old leads all MLB catchers in home runs.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 103
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 9
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 28
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 34
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (105)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)