Jun 30, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Bad news for the Braves this evening, as the team has announced that Evan Gattis is headed to the disabled list with a bulging thoracic disc in his back.
There’s no clear timetable for Gattis’ return. He’s scheduled to receive an epidural to treat the injury, so more should be known depending on how he responds. With Gattis sidelined, rookie Christian Bethancourt figures to get an extended look behind the plate.
Losing Gattis is a tough blow to Atlanta’s offense, as he’s batting .290/.342/.558 with 16 home runs and 39 RBI over 63 games this season. The 27-year-old leads all MLB catchers in home runs.
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 0
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 7
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 33
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 40
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 182
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (182)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)