Jun 30, 2014, 8:40 PM EST
Geovany Soto has been sidelined all season following surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee in March, but he’s finally getting closer to joining the Rangers.
Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that Soto is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment Friday with Triple-A Round Rock. If all goes according to plan, he’ll be activated when the Rangers begin the second half on July 18.
The Rangers have a .236/.278/.384 batting line from the catcher position this season. They have relied on a combination of Robinson Chirinos and Chris Gimenez behind the plate since J.P. Arencibia was outrighted to Triple-A Round Rock last month.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)